British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is ipu's trade policy different than when you were big al's or is it subjective ? the reason i ask is because I wanted to trade in a large gold severum and your guy told me it wouldnt sell for any more than $20 . so I ended up giving it away! How ever I was in your store a few weeks later a saw a similar sized green Severum no price on the tank, I asked and the manager on duty told me a big beuitiful severum of that size would be $100 . this is when I stopped shopping at your store . (big als)

So does this still happen at I P U ? I havent been back since the name change.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Is ipu's trade policy different than when you were big al's or is it subjective ? the reason i ask is because I wanted to trade in a large gold severum and your guy told me it wouldnt sell for any more than $20 . so I ended up giving it away! How ever I was in your store a few weeks later a saw a similar sized green Severum no price on the tank, I asked and the manager on duty told me a big beuitiful severum of that size would be $100 . this is when I stopped shopping at your store . (big als)

So does this still happen at I P U ? I havent been back since the name change.
Acipenser,
Thank you for your question. Trading in fish are a service we offer to provide customers with an option for fish they no longer want to care for, for whatever reason, outgrowing aquarium etc.
Your example from before is showing the difference between two staff opinions on what your particular fish is worth. The Severum in question that you were told would be worth $100.00 did not sell at that price nor would it have been labeled at that price. If a fish is not priced, technically it is not yet for sale but many end up selling before the price is posted. Clearly you were given a guessed price as there was no price posted. Large Severums are not very popular. What many hobbyists don't realize, the most common reason for trade ins are fish outgrowing their space. This is the same reason why they are not popular or must sell at a lower price.
This is a service we offer and each fish is evaluated by the manager on at that time. Although we have standard pricing for certain trade in's there is no master trade in price list. Each fish is evaluated at the time, some fish receive no credit due to the amount we have at the time, others receive a better credit if we have low stock of XL fish. It also depends on the quality of the fish. Of course all trade ins come in under the perception of high quality but often is not the case.
My post on stunted fish is a good example, those fish came in from hobbyists expecting big credits where the fish are clearly not worth anything.

I do understand where you are coming from, but we are dealing with two different employees conversations and two separate situations. I price many of the traded in fish myself. The majority of these fish I truthfully don't want but take them in as a service. Our business is not based on trade ins, we are an importer. When you import you have a firm cost, trade ins have many variables. Our customers are generally happy we offer this service and this is why I continue to do so. It costs our company money to house and feed these fish and often, many are with us for longer periods.

I am sorry to hear of your instance, typically I would not give credit for larger Severums or very little. I believe there are 6 XL Green severums in the Burnaby location now. They will probably go out on an in store special or move very slowly. There are always two sides to any situation.

Hopefully this explanation has answered your question.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Well, from my personal opinion, they do run a business, to give you full credit of what the fish is worth, the company would lose money! Definitely consider the size to run the shop, the employees to hire, the cost of keeping it there. =) Thought I just add my own thoughts into this conversation, as I gave out 9 oscars and 2 giant gourami over 6 months ago when it was still Big Al's... I was glad they accepted it.. I didn't even expect any credit. But as Grant was saying, fish that big is hard to sell, just like my oscars, they only take them in as a service, and i bet it took months to sell all those giant fish I brought it =)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Well, from my personal opinion, they do run a business, to give you full credit of what the fish is worth, the company would lose money! Definitely consider the size to run the shop, the employees to hire, the cost of keeping it there. =) Thought I just add my own thoughts into this conversation, as I gave out 9 oscars and 2 giant gourami over 6 months ago when it was still Big Al's... I was glad they accepted it.. I didn't even expect any credit. But as Grant was saying, fish they is hard to sell, just like my oscars, they only take them in as a service, and i bet it took months to sell all those giant fish I brought it =)
Thank you eternity 302,
The original post is mostly about the contradiction between the two staff asked as to the value of a Severum. I don't think Acipenser was expecting full price for the Severum. It was the two different answers at different times concerning the value of that fish.
However I am still glad to see others understand the burden on me for accepting large fish.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thank you eternity 302,
The original post is mostly about the contradiction between the two staff asked as to the value of a Severum. I don't think Acipenser was expecting full price for the Severum. It was the two different answers at different times concerning the value of that fish.
However I am still glad to see others understand the burden on me for accepting large fish.
No problem Grant! Since IPU, i luv shopping there now! =) I definitely understand the dollar or two more for the fish, you have huge shops to run, and especially shopping in the Richmond location, to have 5 employees on at a time, running a large shop with huge hydro bill, and the cost of running it in RICHMOND alone, is insane, sometimes I wonder how you guys even keep it up!

As for taking my big fish in =) cant thank you more... otherwise, my loving chinese dad who's a chef would of loved having a taste of steamed oscar and gourami!

now good luck on replying everyone else on this thread, haha!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I find that IPU is great for giving credit for unwanted fish even when they were Big Als as they take in pretty well anything....that is why I'm still a loyal customer. I know they are running a business and will take whatever they offer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.