British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently fining up my 75 gal tank and I got a piece of glass cut for it, but unfortunately the glass place cut it about 3mm too big. I told them this and they quoted me a price to recut it for me, but it would cost more than the original piece did.

so here is my question, can I sand a piece of glass down a bit and if so what would I use and how long would it take to do??

the glass is a little under 4' by 1' and is 5mm thick

any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Good luck trying to diamond saw 3mm for 4' if you mean too big in the 1' dimension !

There may be some hope if it is too "long" in the 4' direction. I think this is what you mean as a 75 g is more than 1' big.

But then I don't see why it would cost more than new piece if all you want is to shorten the 4 ft by 3mm.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's too big on the 1' side... So I would have to cut the length of 4' down by 3mm...

I can't understand why it would cost more either, especially that they cut the wrong size... They should fix it for free, but they aren't...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Was it the shop who made the mistake and cut it 3mm too big? If so they should be fixing it right without any charge to you.
mmmm.. did they say the reason why they wouldn't do the fixing for free? You can try bitching about it.
Sounds fishy to me also about recutting cost more than the original piece considering you don't have to pay for the glass again.. should be just the regular fee they charge per cut.
You can take it to another place and have them cut the excess off..maybe it's going to be cheaper.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently the person that cut and sold me the glass charged me wrong so in their eyes they lost profit on it and that's why it will cost more to fix their screw up... I am going to call around to a couple places and see if some one will make it narrower for me :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
The glass can be ground/ sanded down to the proper size; but it is a tedious process and if the glass is overheated or anything doesn't go exactly right , it could break.
That glass shop is practicing very poor customer relations by not re-cutting a piece to the proper dimension .

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did tell them that I would be blogging about their service on every site I could find and I got really, well, bitchy... But that didn't do the trick... I think I am going to stop sanding it and see if any glass place will try...

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
If a glass shop is arguing about a small piece of glass that size, you probably should deal with a different shop. I deal with A-1 glass in Aldergrove and they have always been very fair with me. Give them a call @ 604 856 6550 ask for Brock.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kingsway glass... Not very good at quoting either... Got a few different answers for the same size piece, I guess it was depending on who I talked to.

·
Registered
695 Posts
That's very bad.. they should refund you the money or cut you a new piece at the exact dimension you wanted.
I dealt twice with this place called Candu Glass in Burnaby to cut me pieces for tank cover..prices were reasonable and actually it was referred by Anthony, one of our moderator.

Reactions: sarcastickitten

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Glass guys soften the edges and smooth out the ridges of the cuts with a belt sander usually. I'd assume since it is less then 1/8th of a inch you could probably gently run a belt sander along both edges and fix the problem yourself.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooohhh... Do you happen to have their address or phone number? That would be super awesome!

thanks <3

That's very bad.. they should refund you the money or cut you a new piece at the exact dimension you wanted.
I dealt twice with this place called Candu Glass in Burnaby to cut me pieces for tank cover..prices were reasonable and actually it was referred by Anthony, one of our moderator.

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
Sky Sculpture Statue Wonders of the world Art
ohh i hate it when a business is like that,
I have never had a bad exp with a glass shop yet , but i have had many dealings and I often worry im due . wish me luck with mine I am trying to price out a 4 x 4 x 4 cube out of acrylic, so far one place asked what type of silicone i wanted to seal the acrylic tank so i wont be going with them.

seems pretty crappy that they wouldnt just help you out and slice it off or even just cut one the proper size, sounds like a shady place.

Kingsway glass... Not very good at quoting either... Got a few different answers for the same size piece, I guess it was depending on who I talked to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If their asking what to use to seal it... Yeah, I wouldn't go there either... In my experience acrylic is actually quite easy to work with...

Nonetheless I wish you a hearty good luck and maybe check to see if the Candu Glass place mentioned above works with acrylic... ;-)

View attachment 10181 ohh i hate it when a business is like that,
I have never had a bad exp with a glass shop yet , but i have had many dealings and I often worry im due . wish me luck with mine I am trying to price out a 4 x 4 x 4 cube out of acrylic, so far one place asked what type of silicone i wanted to seal the acrylic tank so i wont be going with them.

seems pretty crappy that they wouldnt just help you out and slice it off or even just cut one the proper size, sounds like a shady place.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.