British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was doing a water change earlier today and noticed that on the surface of my water... there are these black things... they jump around and keep jumping all over the place.... Fleas?

Anyone know what the causes them and how I can get rid of them? Thanks!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Do you know for a FACT that they were actual fleas (like the ones on your dog)? It seems unlikely that they would want to chill on your aquarium. Also, do you have any floating plants? I got some salvinia from a pond that had aphids on it but they never escaped and slowly died off of their own accord.

I only ask because if you have actual fleas that bite you you've got a huge problem , as they are very hard to get rid of and will probably require a call to the exterminator.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not fleas. Springtails. Fish food....If you have floating plants they are hard to get rid of. More surface movement makes life hard for them.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thomas I dont think you have fleas like others have said probally aphids, they should die off on their own otherwise get a net and scoop them all out....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Or just borrow the archer fish at Rogers Aquatics.. definitely no escape with those giants!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had little black jumping things before in my tank too. I heard they were harmless so i didn't mind to much. If you look real close you will probably find all kinds of bugs in your tanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts