·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
July 5, 2015 - Out with the Old

The old version of the Edge.

Time for a redo.

July 6-8, 2015 - Substrate in, half flood and planting time

I took some cladophora riddled Monte Carlo from the old tank and started to painstakingly remove the clado and cut the Monte Carlo into pieces. Each stem had about 3-5 leaves and was about 1-2 cms long. It took three sittings of about 2 hours each to prepare and plant the Monte Carlo, but it was totally worth it. So much easier to plant with some water in the tank as the weight of the water pushes down the substrate, which keeps the plantlets in place.

Carpet planted

Rest of the plants are in

August 14, 2015 - Everything is growing in nicely

And one of the happy residents

And finally, some details:
Tank - 6 gallon Fluval Edge
Lighting - Upgraded to 12 gallon light bar (42 LEDs), plus a fluval LED light bar resting on top of the tank.
Substrate - ADA Amazonia w/ root tabs
CO2 - Paintball setup with Aquatek Reg and solenoid. Diffused in the filter using a piece of chopstick.
Flora - Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', Rotala indica, Anubius nana, Java fern (needle, regular and windelov), staurogyne repens and porto velho, Echinodorus parviflorus and 1 stem of alternanthera reineckii mini.
Fauna - Micro rasbora (brigittae, I believe) and some Golden Bee mischling shrimp.

Thanks for looking,
Rob

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wow! Looks fantastic! Just reworking my fluval edge 12 gal - thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update Nov 11, 2015

Update Nov 11, 2015.

All well in the Edge with the exception of some melt on the Monte Carlo carpet (see below). Added some bucephalandra trimmings from another tank. Not sure that it fits this 'scape, but I love those little plants enough that I don't really care. Loads of shrimp babies including a couple of TBs from the Golden Bee mischlings.

Front View

Strange melt. Any ideas? I'm guessing some nutrient difficency, but am not sure which one.

Feedback, comments and advice are most welcome.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Planting and maintaining a planted edge is a bit trickier than standard tanks. Nice work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts