British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was just wondering. Do Flying Foxe fish tend to be shy or are mine the exception. I started out with 4 and one was quite flighty and would sometimes leap out of the tank. One day I found he was gone and I suspect he leapt from the tank and was eaten by my cat because I never did find a body. Anyways aside from their shyness they are gorgeous and look great on the occasions when they do shoal around the tank. Do you suppose getting a few more would help with the shyness of are these guys generally like this? Thanks :)

Jen

·
Registered
617 Posts
Flying foxes ( Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus ) tend to be shy and dart around the tank a lot .. When they mature at about 4", they can be a bit agressive to their own species and similar looking ones, but generally leave other tankmates alone. They do best in a well planted tank with lots of swimming room . I had 4 in a 33 that schooled one moment and chased one another next , but never did any real harm to each other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dave, Luckily mine have never shown any aggression. It's really too bad they are so shy since they really do look lovely when they are schooling.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
when i had 4 of them, they were always out and about. As long as you got the right tank mates, proper water parameters and plenty of cover, they will be visible :) At the time i had 5 otocs, 4 SAEs, school of cardinals, school of tetras, and a few zebra danios. I find that a handful of fish like the zebra danios calm down the more timid fish in the tank. Mine also stayed low in the tank, so none jumped out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts