British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm at work! Wifey and Sister calls me "THE HOUSE IS FLOODING"!!!!

Unfortunately my tubing for my Eheim detached to the spray bar, the hose is kinda hooked onto the rim... so when the water returns, it's splashing half in the tank, half on my floor!

If anyone knows, I live on the third floor of my town house! I did major calculations on how much weight and how big of a tank and where to place em in my house. Unfortunately... I didn't calculate this...

My powerbar with all electrical units are flooded... all extensions cords might be fried... everything is turned off except the the main powerheads for the airpumps! No lights can be turned on as the power bar is now completed dripping water and I don't want ANY of my family members to go near it!

All I know now is the ceiling on the second floor is damp and soft!
The whole floor is flooded and soaked (third floor is the only floor with carpets)!
And almost next to no electrical components can be turned on!
OMG :( I really really really wanna kill cry right now!!!

I also know there's water pouring down the stairs like a waterfall! :(

I'm gonna get owned by my sister when I get home... it's her bday today... and she's moping and soaking with towels! :(

·
Registered
491 Posts
oh dude that sucks. There was a store here in abbotsford, the guy took over and all the sumps started to break. one night the one take sprung a leak and he had 200gal of salt water on the floor of his shop.

I have always dreaded big tanks for this reason.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Oh man! That sucks!!!!!! I always dread the thought of my tanks dumping on the floor as well, my tanks are on the 2nd floor.

I hope this didn't cause a ton of damage to the floor/ceiling :(

Sorry to hear man. Good luck :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oh man, that is a bad situation. I hope the damage is minimal. I had a $500 bill after a similar incident in my condo. I found out later that the manager got the bill from the restoration company and put his own markup on it before telling me how much extra I owed.

I hope it isn't too unsafe, has the power been cut to that area, so the flooded power bars etc can be unplugged safely?

I hope your sister isn't too upset. And I hope the live stock survives.

Steve

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay! Been called... around 2" of water is out! No cracks on tank!
I expect 2" to be rougly 2 gallons of water!
They've moved everything and are stomping on towels.. the ceiling is damp, but not dripping water! Should I still hire someone to check the ceiling? Or should i use a dehumidifier for the time being?

Really no clue what to do?
I'm sure I need a new power bar.. and dry up the plugs!?!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Oh boy Jackson, that really sucks :(

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really have no clue!
I feel like shutting the tanks down...

it really isn't worth jeopardizing a whole house...
And i'm honestly clueless on what to do now....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes to both. like neven said, you need to stop mold from taking hold. it could cost you serious money down the road if you go cheap now.
How much is it to hire someone to take care of it? :(
Or how do I try to open it up without damagin everything! :(

·
Registered
308 Posts
that was always my worst fear with my eheim was the tubing sliding off and draining the tank out. At leasst ppl were home to stop it and the hole tank didn't drain..

You could try some metal hose clamps so that it doesn't slide off again

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the reason why I prefer Rena instead of Eheim!
The spray bar is attached securely and so is the intake!
The only complaint I have about Eheim is it makes a mess when you want to go clean it, and the flimsy hose attachment fo rthe spray bar!
Not speaking for all Eheim
Just the 2215 with the standard parts...

Coworker called his parent that's been working as a realtor for years and have dealt with situations like this many times!
He told me not to worry too much but try to dry everything

2wheelsx2 has also suggested that I rip the carpets upwards and dry whatever I can!

But HOW do you move 2000lb's of fish tank!
I don't want to wreck my aquascape AGAIN, which I've already done for the last DIY jello co2 incident! And it's my sister's birthday tonite... OMG! I had a headache!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
the biggest is to do as they are doing and soak as much water as possible. toss the wet towels in the dryer after wringing them out, and then soak more out. ALso every fan in the house needs to where theres wet carpet, blowing as much as possible. A rental blower fan for construction would be best.

the best way to open a cieling is to leave a couple inches from wherever theres a corner and try to keep it one piece and square, will make it much quicker to patch later. Might want to get a contractor to do that. If theres no insulation the chances of mold greatly decrease. Insulation will be guaranteed mold if it doesn't properly get airflow to dry

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Neven! You should like a contractor! I am about to hire you!

I have my 12000 BTU air conditioner going right now, not air conditioning the room, instead, I am using it as a dehumidifier right now!

Should I soak whatever i can? Throw my 3 x 4ft light above the floor and dry the crap out of it?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
yea anything that will help, intense light just enough to warm the surface so its warm to the touch should be fine, dont want to burn the carpet :D Air flow + warmth once as much has been soaked out as possible would be ideal.

Oh and i suck at finishing, i was a drywaller for a total of 1 day before saying screw this i'm goin electrical

·
Registered
232 Posts
Look for a handy man and in one of the Richmond newspaper ads or you can do it yourself for now. Keep in mind that it will be though to find someone over the long weekend. Maybe you may be able to contract one of the members that is a home reno experts or pro?

Not an expert myself, but I know a plumber when I had a dripping problem and he said best and cheapest way is to open the ceiling up below as its easier\cheaper to repair.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea anything that will help, intense light just enough to warm the surface so its warm to the touch should be fine, dont want to burn the carpet :D Air flow + warmth once as much has been soaked out as possible would be ideal.

Oh and i suck at finishing, i was a drywaller for a total of 1 day before saying screw this i'm goin electrical
Thank you! I will set my four foot light in ONCE the prongs are dried up!!! :(
At least you're honest, i was about to hire you right there!

Look for a handy man and in one of the Richmond newspaper ads or you can do it yourself for now. Keep in mind that it will be though to find someone over the long weekend. Maybe you may be able to contract one of the members that is a home reno experts or pro?

Not an expert myself, but I know a plumber when I had a dripping problem and he said best and cheapest way is to open the ceiling up below as its easier\cheaper to repair.
Ahhh.... I think everything's started to get better!!
The ladies at home called me.. it's starting to dry up.. told me that i don't need to run and buy a dry/wet vacuum after!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
i've experienced a few building floods... the last one wasn't repaired right and i let the manager and regional manager know that to just caulk the leaks and call it done would cause mold to break out. on top of that the building manager told me that the regular air flow would dry out the carpets.... Anyways mold broke out everywhere and i moved out cause of it. Lost about 12 pairs of shoes, 8 board games and a ton of magazines because they molded aswell. The building manager before this one though, was crucified by the regional because he did rip open the walls and ceiling and rent out air blowers to properly address a different, similar leak (spent money oh noooo!). No mold in those area's though.

As it is, you probably wont need to rip up the carpets if you do what has been recommended, but there is one issue, the carpet under the tank... that can mold, it gets no air and likely wont dry.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i've experienced a few building floods... the last one wasn't repaired right and i let the manager and regional manager know that to just caulk the leaks and call it done would cause mold to break out. on top of that the building manager told me that the regular air flow would dry out the carpets.... Anyways mold broke out everywhere and i moved out cause of it. Lost about 12 pairs of shoes, 8 board games and a ton of magazines because they molded aswell. The building manager before this one though, was crucified by the regional because he did rip open the walls and ceiling and rent out air blowers to properly address a different, similar leak (spent money oh noooo!). No mold in those area's though.

As it is, you probably wont need to rip up the carpets if you do what has been recommended, but there is one issue, the carpet under the tank... that can mold, it gets no air and likely wont dry.
Okay!
So two things I should definitely do!

Move the tanks for one day.. dry out everything?
Cut the ceiling soak everything out and see if there's any chemicals i can buy to stop any mold and prevention correct?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts