British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a new member here, so I don't know if I posted in the correct forum or not. Please advice me if its the wrong forum.

Recently I purchased a 10G tank, and for my substrate, I decided to use playsand from Canadian Tire (I read on internet stating that it is a cheap alternative for substrate). However, at this point, I am starting to regrat the choice. My water is FOGGY! i mean FOGGY... I cleaned the playsand at least 30-40 times before I actually put water in the tank. On top of that, I also did my 1st water chage. The water is still foggy... How will I be able to make my water clear? is there any chemicals or filters that I can use to resolve this problem? Will this problem effect my fishs (I have 2 Crayfishs and 1 Upside down catfish and 2 feeder goldfish).

Thanks for your time

Nick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some subtrates can take 3 to 4 days to actuall settle. And then, boom, you do a water change and it's another 3 to 4 days .

not to long ago, i popped into April's and bought her last 2 bags of flora base... she told me it could take a while to settle. I appreciated the up front heads up.

what else is in the tank?
Elmo

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elmo,

Thanks for the quick reply. There are 2 sea shells, 1 castle and 1 bamboo stick and some small rocks that I picked up couple weeks ago when I went to the beach. I guess I will just have to wait for another few days and see if the water clear out or not...

I wish there are some chemicals that I can put in and just clear out the water thought lol

Thanks.

Nick

·
Registered
55 Posts
umm, I'm no expert here but sea shells in freshwater may have a bearing here ...

aren't they a more marine / salt water item?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elmo,

Yah, but I bought them off the shelf lol not straight from the beach. Bought them at a store as a decorative item... haha

Nick

·
Registered
562 Posts
My suggestion is to wait it out for a few days and see how it goes...

If not you can use a diatom filter to clear the water or even a flocculant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts