British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,278 Posts
I used to transfer my floating plants into a snail or BNP tank.... and voila.... babies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's too bad this fluval edge doesn't really allow for floating plants - oh well. Now I'm going to have a specific breeding tank :D.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Wow, super cool. Always wanted to breed these fish but never gave it a fair go. Looking forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks DBam, so far it seems relatively straight forward...Hard part is finding the eggs... I'm sure there were more but I probably missed seeing them...Checking the main tank periodically in hopes of saving the fry...

The first picture shows my DIY breeder box with foam covering the mesh part to keep the fry in. I push the mesh against the filter outlet to keep fresh water circulating into the box.

Day two, fry already looks noticeably bigger. Trying to feed it floating fry food and micro worms...Haven't seen it actually eating but it must be if it's growing 🙂. The floating plants and moss has microfauna that helps feed the fry (I've actually seen some zipping around). I also use a turkey baster to clean the bottom of the breeder box and just release the detritus into the main tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 6 updates - fry is still growing albeit not as quickly as the first day...still feeding dry fry food and micro worms.

Found another egg, but this one was white...not viable anymore correct? Was from a tank w forktail rainbows, green neon rasboras and mosquito rasboras.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Day 40 or so. Time for an update. I took a long road trip for about two weeks in December, and debated mightily with myself about what to do with my at that point 20 day old fry. I decided to leave him in the fry tank, with lots of floaters, leaf litter etc. I thought he should find enough food and the dangers of him being in that other tanks with auto feeders far outweighed that of starvation.
Looks like I made the right call! Was pretty worried towards the end of my trip but it was all good. Here he is! IMG_20200105_203445_1578285793229.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
I bought a bag of Java moss at one of the VAHS meetings and ended up with over a hundred of them. LOL!!! Exciting to watch them grow. congrats. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,278 Posts
I bought a bag of Java moss at one of the VAHS meetings and ended up with over a hundred of them. LOL!!! Exciting to watch them grow. congrats. :cool:
Yours were dwarf neon rainbows that hatched. I still have offspring from their babies in my worksite tank.

Best regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's pretty awesome. I'm guessing the moss was from Stuart? Put me down for some of that moss too Stuart, or I'll take a few of the dwarf neons off your hands The guy...my two female rainbows are lonely ever since the male rainbow decided he'd like to become fish jerky.

·
Super Moderator
5,278 Posts
That's pretty awesome. I'm guessing the moss was from Stuart? Put me down for some of that moss too Stuart, or I'll take a few of the dwarf neons off your hands The guy...my two female rainbows are lonely ever since the male rainbow decided he'd like to become fish jerky.
No..... I got Dwarf Neon Rainbow fry from Laurie. Laurie's fry spawned and I got fry from them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts