British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's not much but thot I'd share it. Found this Hagen 10 gallon tank & canopy on the side of the road, was sitting in a suitcase with no light (I'm still in need of a light(18"-20") if anyone has a cheap one) Thought this would be an excellent tank for the bedroom and new Betta I got from IPU
Here it is how I found it:

Bought an Aqua-Tech 5-15 hob filter and Tetra heater & some gravel:

Added water, some hornwort & sunset hygro & some DIY Co2:

Finally the fish, a nice java fern and piece of driftwood (I found myself and treated) and wah-lah:

Lighting sucks,just using a clip-on desk lamp with a high intensity bulb . But I'll find a proper light soon enough. Anyway hope you enjoyed the life and times of the tank found on the side of the road lol

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Gold! Good score! My guess is the previous owner did not have it running as good as you. This would explain the pick up spot!:)
Looks good! Great looking Betta!:D

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grant & thanks to your great sale prices, I was able to stock it with that beautiful Betta , 4 Glow-light tetras and 7 Neon Tetras :) it's absolutely perfect for the bedroom

·
Registered
807 Posts
Great find!!!
You turn it into quite a nice setup.
You should post it up on CL to show the previous owner what potential it had.
:D

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Great find!!!
that is one sweet idea...:eek:

you did a great job with the road kill.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's amazing what people will give/throw away. I have been making out like a bandit on Craigslist lately. Tommorow I am acutally going to take some time to inventory and organize.
Nice tank, not too shabby for "road kill"

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everybody :)

Great find!!!
lol I should....Thanks, I was actually quite impressed with the end result myself, it's my favorite tank right now, probably due to the fact it's the easiest one to take care of lol

that is one sweet idea...:eek:

you did a great job with the road kill.
lmao @ roadkill & Thanks

It's amazing what people will give/throw away. I have been making out like a bandit on Craigslist lately. Tommorow I am acutally going to take some time to inventory and organize.
Nice tank, not too shabby for "road kill"
Thanks & It is amazing what people throw away wether CL or just on the side of the road. I live in an apartment Building with 2-27 floor towers and 2-8 story buildings. You should see what gets thrown away here into our recycle area, it is nuts...good TV's, computers, musical instruments, stereo equipment , I even found a 20 gallon tank, lifeglo hood & stand one time. Sold the tank and hood before I really started getting into Aquariums , now wish I hadn't lol I make atleast $100 extra a week for 15 minutes work selling the stuff on CL, sometimes more. Sucks tho, there's a few others that found my lil money pile so now I got competition lol

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
it's my favorite tank right now, probably due to the fact it's the easiest one to take care of lol
Maybe because you found it, too. That certainly works for me. I found an old piece of furniture that my neighbours were throwing away a few years back. Fixed it a bit, scraped the old paint off, painted it back, I felt great about it. It's still not super nice by any standards, but it's my favourite piece of furniture in the house! :rolleyes:

Great job on the tank. Looks great.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice find and even nicer set up :)
Thanks Atom....picked up another one off CL yesterday for the Black Orchid Betta I'm getting:) Unfortunately It's not nearly in as good condition as this one was, but then considering where I got it from , I'm thinking I rescued it lol

Maybe because you found it, too. That certainly works for me. I found an old piece of furniture that my neighbours were throwing away a few years back. Fixed it a bit, scraped the old paint off, painted it back, I felt great about it. It's still not super nice by any standards, but it's my favourite piece of furniture in the house! :rolleyes:

Great job on the tank. Looks great.
Lol sounds like me...everything has potential. If I think I can fix it, make it better or sell it, it comes home with me lol. Finding it was definitely a bonus, maybe I'll find a 50 gallon like that one day haha...if only...Bet yea, things we put work into hold a high value to us..And it is amazing what a new coat of paint will do 'eh....Thanks for the compliment

Good makeover! :) Looks very good, I'm sure your Betta loves it!
Thanks Lisa...yes he loves it in there, always exploring. I seen your gorgeous Betta on Ultimatebettas .com He looks pretty happy in his new home too.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Soooo I did a bit of a revamp on this tank a couple weeks ago. Took some pix after things started filling in again. This is like my favorite tank lol. I hardly do anything to it, the fish are hardy with no deaths in months. The plants do awesome in it and hardly ever see any algae in it. Wish I could say the same with my other tanks lol

Videos coming tomorrow

·
Registered
382 Posts
looks awesome john, you must have found a good light for it?

i'm planning to redo a cracked 10G in future, hope it turns out this well :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
awesome find! but i must admit, i was guilty of leaving a 10 gallon at the curb at one time. When i moved from new west back to coquitlam, the tank was already not runnin due to becoming a guppy death box. But it had no light, just the glass :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts