British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at a Toy Store today and I heard that the store was selling these African Dwarf Frogs. I didn't get to see any as they were sold out at the time (apparently very popular). I was left feeling kind of disturbed by the thought that these frogs are being kept in such tiny containers. I don't know anything about frogs, but the idea of changing the water only 4 times a year and the having one lily to keep the water clean makes me wonder what this is promoting and teaching the younger generation. I guess these are the new bettas?

African Dwarf Frogs - Better Than Goldfish For Kids! : Growing Your Baby

"Goodbye goldfish, hello African Dwarf Frogs! These tiny, cute, and easy to care for amphibians are becoming the new popular pet for kids.

The African Dwarf Frogs with EcoAquarium by Wild Creations are adorable little swimming frogs that kids of all ages can take care of. They don't need to be walked, bathed, or really cared for much. But they are fun to watch! The frogs come in a secure aquatic ecosystem, complete with real bamboo plant that helps keep the water clean and fresh. The package also comes with colorful gravel of your choice to add to the bottom of the EcoAquarium. Parents can choose the Jewel aquarium over the Classic and also receive larger colorful rocks for the frogs to sit on and swim around.

Caring for African Dwarf Frogs is incredibly easy. The frogs need to be fed only twice a week, and the food that they need is very affordable to buy. The water in the EcoAquarium only needs to be changed out four times each year. With parents help, even toddlers and young preschoolers can care for their frogs.

African Dwarf Frogs are, as their name implies, very tiny. The frogs only grow to be about an inch long, and the tank for them is very small. Even families with a small apartment can find a place to keep these fun pets. Because the frogs are sent alive, Wild Creations ships the frogs out immediately using 2-day mail. Once you receive it, the tank takes about 30 minutes to put together and get ready. Then you can begin enjoying watching the tiny frogs swim and play throughout the tank.

African Dwarf Frogs are native to Sub-Saharan Africa, and spend most of their time in the water with only occasional trips above for air. Each frog needs about a gallon of clean unchlorinated mineral water. They are sub-tropical, and prefer water that is kept fairly warm. Around 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit is perfect.

The best part is that as long as nothing disturbs them, African Dwarf Frogs can live for up to 18 years! No more crying as another goldfish dies in the tank. One pair of frogs can be care for all the way until high school, and beyond.

African Dwarf Frogs may take the place of the typical goldfish that parents buy as a first pet. They are fun to watch, easy to care for, and are not as likely to die quickly. They are the perfect pet for kids of all ages!"

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Thats one helluva sells pitch they use. In my experience ADF's are not very active to begin with, I have yet to see mine play lol this is one misleading quote " you can begin enjoying watching the tiny frogs swim and play throughout the tank".
They mainly chill out somewhere in the plants. the only time they actually swim is to go up for air. Even when you go to a LFS that has a tank full of them they are hardly active. Cute as they are I don't find them more fun to watch than my Betta's. I wouldn't keep a Betta in a small container no more than any other creature. It does suck they are marketing them, the way they are.

·
Registered
997 Posts
"No more crying as another goldfish dies in the tank. One pair of frogs can be care for all the way until high school, and beyond."

Um... yeah.... and if you actually TAKE PROPER CARE of your goldfish they will live a lot longer than 18 years!

This is terrible, like the "Aqua Babies" craze :(

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
That's sick. I keep 2 ADFs with my betta in a Chi, and they get fed every couple of days (plus what the betta leaves them), and 80% water changes weekly.

They're living things, not toys. Any parent who buys a pet for their kid without having a clue on how to look after it needs a hard smack upside the head. These are the same types of people who keep puppy mills in business.

I'm afraid I gave in to temptation and added a slightly snarky comment to the post.

·
Registered
186 Posts
sorry about going off topic but i had to say this

PITA is s joke!
they use peoples donations to buy walk in freezers to FREEZE there "rescued" animals

dont believe me watch the showi saw it on youtube. the show might be still there.
its an hour show and they talk about things. ive seen 2 episodes one was about handy cap parking and another about PITA.

very good show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.