British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed one of my goldfish frozen in a block of ice, what do you think the chances are he'll still be alive when he thaws. I have a bunch of them outside in a 250 gallon IBC tote that looks like it's frozen solid but I'm hoping there is some liquid i there that may be holding the rest of the fish

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have had goldies swimming in slush and survive, but I'm afraid one frozen solid is a goner. You'll find out soon enough .. Be sure to let us know . . I've heard stories of them surviving being frozen , but never seen it myself. . Swimming in slush , yes , frozen solid , no.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've had a couple frozen solid before and when they thawed they were alive. Do not try and thaw. I made that mistake many many years ago and I felt terrible. It thawed unnatural and lived for about 3 mins :( to be honest...I've never looked at them the same since lol. Let us know what happens.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I've had a couple frozen solid before and when they thawed they were alive.
SERIOUSLY :confused: I am stunt if that is real. I heard of beetle doing that but their blood has alcohol in there to prevent ice from forming that rupture their internal tissues.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Well unfortunately I have
Frozen solid in my Rubbermaid. :(. . They are in the middle of a block. I doubt they are alive. We
Can't even get the ice out yet.
If I had known I would've put them in
My spare bathtub. Thought we would have a bit of ice for a day or so and melt
As usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I normally put them in our 4 foot deep pool for the winter but never got to it this year unfortunately. I'm hoping the others that I can't see yet are okay but it looks like a solid 4 by block of ice in the tanks. Luckily the above ground koi pond didn't freeze much more than an inch or two, I guess due to the heat produced by the pump in it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It has something to do with how long they are frozen for, air pocket etc. With mine I could see a tiny water pocket inside the frozen ice where the fish was.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
On a 250g tub, I would make sure the water is circulating and it should not freeze. I generally keeps my pump running all winter in my pond.
My back pond was frozen this year - turned off pump to clean it but never got to it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the good news is he/she is no longer frozen solid in the ice but I'm not able to see if it's swimming or sunk to the bottom dead. I'm hoping all of the ice will be gone in the next day or so and I 'll know for sure what happened

·
Registered
393 Posts
I caught a large pleco once in the bow river in calgary. If they can survive that freezing cold water, I'm sure your goldfish can take a chunk of ice.

·
Registered
897 Posts
When did you catch him ... maybe he was huge when someone decided he needed a bigger home ...

Reactions: onefishtwofish

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi I got 13 goldfish in my 800gal pond a lot of it was frozen and when it melted I saw 11 of them swimming around there are very strong fish I hope this will ease your mine.

Thanks newfie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts