British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I heard it's illegal to bring frt into the country

So I guess the only way to aquire one is to buy one from someone who had/brought them in before the ban?

Is that correct or am I completely wrong. Would love to add one to my new tank, but none for sale/ don't wanna do anything illegal

·
Registered
394 Posts
It is illegal to bring any species of turtle into Canada.
It's been that way for the 12 years I've been keeping turtles.
Only turtles bred in Canada can be legally sold here.
Most of the turtles for sale in Canada are here illegally.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is illegal to bring any species of turtle into Canada.
It's been that way for the 12 years I've been keeping turtles.
Only turtles bred in Canada can be legally sold here.
Most of the turtles for sale in Canada are here illegally.
So bringing them in is illegal, so buying one here in Canada would be illegal also?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In BC it looks like all aquatic turtles are now illegal even RES/maps/stink pots etc bred in Canada thanks to people releasing RES into BC ponds and them living and breeding somewhat, all FRT are illegal as all were smuggled in, they don't seem to care about people owning RES etc but i would not get a FRT even if you can find one still. box turtles and tortoises are still legal though. I would think when you get down to it though basically all turts/torts are illegal in Canada as most were smuggled in or from smuggled in parents. From what i heard the only reason they are banned from importing is that they can carry salmonella LOL.... so do most animals! And the US requires all turtles/torts sold to be over 4" so children cant swallow them or get them in their mouth because of salmonella....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In BC it looks like all aquatic turtles are now illegal even RES/maps/stink pots etc bred in Canada thanks to people releasing RES into BC ponds and them living and breeding somewhat, all FRT are illegal as all were smuggled in, they don't seem to care about people owning RES etc but i would not get a FRT even if you can find one still. box turtles and tortoises are still legal though. I would think when you get down to it though basically all turts/torts are illegal in Canada as most were smuggled in or from smuggled in parents. From what i heard the only reason they are banned from importing is that they can carry salmonella LOL.... so do most animals! And the US requires all turtles/torts sold to be over 4" so children cant swallow them or get them in their mouth because of salmonella....
I heard frt were banned because of their declining population in the wild...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.