British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
5 dozen CRS? holy cow, thats alot!
Because I hate my ramshorns and I really really really wanna kill them all!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No they don't kill shrimp. They have been with my green shrimp for a few years and both species were breeding regularly. My MTS population however was wiped out in a few weeks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have nerite snails in the tank as well, they help me eat the algae off the class. I'm just afraid that the Assassins will kill those as well?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
They will. They'll join up to take them down if they're smaller then them.

I wouldn't put Assassin Snails in a take with any snails you'd like to keep.

Why not pull them out for a while and feed them algae wafers while the assassins do their job? You can acclimatize them to room temperature water over time without too much effort I would think. Your only other option would be snail be gone or something similar which will wipe out your nerites as well any how.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Yup, they'll move on to other food sources, but they prefer slow or static sources of meat as their primary source, but in lack of this they'll eat algae, or fish food, or whatever.

They won't just die out, you're $10 will be WELL invested.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
mine were kept with nerite and left them alone going on one month now however they may eat rabbit snails....

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
mine were kept with nerite and left them alone going on one month now however they may eat rabbit snails....
It's truly up to the assassin snails, no if ands or buts about it.

And not to thread jack, but again my offer goes, I'll buy them if you can deliver to Surrey, I'm unable to drive due to medical.

·
Registered
592 Posts
From what I've read about them, the assassins will generally go after the easier to eat snails first it seems (MTS, ramshorn, etc) that do not have a operculum (which nerites do have). I have olive nerites in my tank with assassins with no problems thus far.

BTW, don't mean to hijack this thread, but when did you get that many CRS Chris? I'll buy some off of you if you have too many...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts