585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1 node Ranunculus inundatus (submersed grown)- GONE
1 node Ranunculus inundatus (emersed grown) - GONE

15-20 leaves 'needle leaf' java fern (submersed)- $5
15-20 leaves 'narrow leaf' java fern (submersed) - GONE
10-15 leaves 'red' java fern (emersed) Large plant- GONE
Red java fern can reach the same size as regular java fern

Boblitis (submersed) Grown in low light for the compact growth.
left one - $6
right (approx 7-8" rhizome) - GONE

Anubias nana 'Petite' (emersed grown) (Does not include pot and hydroton)
Pots in the photo are 3.5" diameter (big plant = roughly 2"+ in length)

3 o clock (1 big plant 1 little) - $7 GONE
6 oclock (2 big plant 1 little) - $11 GONE
12 oclock(3 big plant) - $12 GONE
9 o'clock (4 big plant 1 little) - $18 GONE

5 Cyperus helferi approx 5" tall (emersed grown) - GONE
5 Staurogyne stolonifera(emersed grown) - $5

Bolbitis

Anubias nana 'petite'

'Red' Java fern (submersed plantlet) Only the newest 2-3 leaf are red. They eventually turn green.

photo is of 2 portion of needle leaf java fern.

Ranunculus inundatus

Cyperus helferi

Staurogyne stolonifera

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yup, most if not all the emersed plants I keep are grown in pots. Easier to clean up and a way to keep larger variety of plants with less maintenance than trying to cram them all in the aquarium. I ran out of space in the emersed setup long ago :(. My emersed setup is mainly crypt focus.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Coquitlam.

The price is

5 plants for $3.. not $3 each

i.e. 5 Cyperus helferi approx 5" tall (emersed grown) - $3

The java fern is grown submersed in my main setup. The java fern been in the tank for a few years now. Minimum 2 years, but I am guessing it is closer to 3 years as I have phased out of the die hard-hobby level 3 years ago.

·
Registered
346 Posts
1 XXL Narrow leaf java fern

Hey... How big would this fern be in size? i cant realy tell by the pics, a measuring tape beside it would of been nice to tell.. Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was using the Big als bucket lid as a measuring stick. The lid is 1 ft in diameter. Photo was taken back in Aug so the plant is a little bigger than in the photo.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
This may be a bit off topic. Ignore it if it is.

How do you grow your plants emersed? Are they in a tank? How do you keep the water they are growing in from getting grungy? I tried emersed anubias once in a goldfish bowl and it was a disaster.

If anybody has experience growing emersed, maybe they could post some tips in a separate thread.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
So since they are in little containers can you just put them right in the tank?? I want some for in my simp and dint want plants floating around so i think if there in little pots i wont have to lay down substrate

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
TCR:

Yes and no. The hydroton I used in there are waterlogged enough so they do sink in the tank. The problem I have run into is fish still have a tendency to dig and knock the substrate out of the pot. I got hydroton scattered all over the bottom of my loach tank that is home to an 18" tall Anubias afezlii.

If I use clay pots, the pots will get root bound quite fast and I would need to re-pot the plants quite often. If I go with net pots, I need to use decent size medium (8-16 mm size) and stem plants do not do well in them. 8-16 mm medium works well for anubias, ferns, and swords. The more common aquarium strain crypts can do well in hydroton as well. I can always line the pot with filter foam or rockwool to create a basket to hold the gravel in the net pot, but that takes a lot of work and not very friendly for clean up and re-potting.

TomC:

I grow them in a hydroponic setup, which can be correlated to aquarium style planted tank with no fish or inhabitant. Soil less growing above water.

There are different approach to growing plants emersed/hydroponically/soil less environment. I used a perforated trays with gravel to grow emersed foreground plants. I used and is using Potted hydroton for swords and crypts. I tried potted gravel for some stem plants and tried using rockwool as well for a bit. I didn't like rockwool much, They required a flood and drain system to work well.

Here are some photos from over the last 7 years of trial and error. Most of the system are gone now. I only have the emersed tank running after moving.

emersed tank

A Afezlii grown in the emersed tank prior to moving into the loach tank. The pot and the plant both got moved into the loach tank. I did not remove the pot.

perforated trays setup

Outdoor setup. Similar idea as the tank, only I had this all fed from 1 - 10 gallon reservior and 4 of those PVC lined cube box. easier to remake now that I know about flood tables.

rockwool lined potted gravel net pot.

Cheapest to setup are the trays. I filled the trays with fertilizer solution, 2 mm past the media, and top it off when the water has gone below the growing media. Most expensive is the emersed tank setup. Most fun to play with is the outdoor emersed setup. very easy to grow a lot of plants in short period of time. Fun Sun and natural CO2 can do wonders to plant growth. Most annoying to grow in marsh environment is rockwool. Rockwool needs a drying out period or they get waterlogged to the point of plant death. All things being equal, the key to getting good plant growth emersed is high humidity for aquatic plants. 80%+. The outdoor setup had a hard time getting established because of the dried environment from being directly exposed to the air.

C Affinis is spoken for.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for all the info on emersed. I didn’t know it was going to stir up so much interest. I have tried some as well, and yes rockwool sucks when used out of the water but work in tank with fertilizer tabs.
Now some one buy his Java fern or I will.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
All the java ferns and bolbitis are submersed grown.

With most plants, except Anubias, the emersed to submersed form transition speed is relative to the speed at which the plant grow.

For example. Rotala rotundifolia. This plant can send 2-4" of new growth a week in high light, high co2 tank. The 2-4" of growth will be submersed growth.

There are only a reasons when plant does not convert.

A. plant is weak/dead to begin with
B. plant is not a true aquatic plant
C. environment is not suitable/favorable for the plant.

Anubias do not lose the leaves when transitioning from emersed to submersed unless the environment cannot sustained the plant size. There might be a few leaves falling off at the very old part of the anubias from initial planting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.