British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Protomelas taeniolatus breeding male, roughly 4" long. Recently became too aggressive to house with my other fish. Asking $30. I also have about 32 juvenile empresses if anyone is interested. I'm located in Abbotsford, could possibly deliver if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it under the identification of Ju from King Eds, and I have no doubt it's a red empress. It's a very 50/50 blue/red body, with none of the yellow common to tangerines. I can try to get some more pictures, it's a very active fish and rather difficult to photograph.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ju isnt a pro by any means, (and neither am I) and I dont mean to disrespect either him or yourself. The problem with protomelas is that they will breed with most other protos.. So purchasing one from a petstore and taking it home to breed with your red empress females could show different characteristics from a true red empress. The African cichlid hobby is a funny one and there are more cross bred africans on the market today than pure true species. This is only my opinion and I may be wrong about your fish but I want to give you something to consider.
Clayton
I would like to see some pics of the fish colored as it would give me better a idea, I just dont remember a red emp looking like this. I had F1 namalenj at one time.. and those were red empress..

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand you completely Clayton, I'm often frustrated with the number of hybrids seen in the hobby today, particularily when sold under a single species name. That said, my experience with empresses isn't too deep. I've kept a couple breeding males over the last year and a half and they both looked different. It is a breed with a broad range of colours, and as you pointed out, lots of cross-breeding between like species. Ju is... well, he's Ju. However, they keep taiwan reefs in the same or adjacent tanks and there's quite a noticeable difference. I'll try for some more pictures this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.