British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 small Spotted Gars at around 4.5 inches both for $35 bucks located in East Richmond

·
Registered
105 Posts
There Florida gars , no such thing spotted Florida ,
Spotted is extremely endangered in native waters of Ontario, and there rare , common mis label

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
The spotted gar (Lepisosteus oculatus) is native to North America and its current range is from southern Ontario to the west from the Devils River in Texas east to the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico and southeast to the lower Apalachicola River in Florida. The gar population is small in the north and is being threatened in Lake Erie by the destruction of their habitat and pollution. The gar is more common in the southern waters like the Mississippi River basin from southern Minnesota to Alabama and western Florida. Historical records indicate the spotted gar resided in the Thames and Sydenham Rivers in Ontario, Canada. Also, the fish was once common in Illinois in the Green and Illinois Rivers to the swamps in Union County; though sporadic, the population has dwindled in these water systems because of the loss of specific habitat they need to live, clear pools with aquatic vegetation.

This is probably not the Florida Gar (Lepisosteus platyrhincus).

Both are fairly common except the spotted gar in Ontario....

Just to clarify :)!

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
105 Posts
How much would you like to bet it’s a Florida gar lol, join some gar groups and you’ll see how rare and hard they are to even get

·
Registered
15 Posts
True Spotted Gar are very rare in the hobby-if not impossible to get hold of and its been this for some while.
Stores often mislabel them as Spotted

Unless its a mistaken ID of an Alligator Gar (which I doubt highly) then its 100% Florida.

·
Registered
105 Posts
True Spotted Gar are very rare in the hobby-if not impossible to get hold of and its been this for some while.
Stores often mislabel them as Spotted

Unless its a mistaken ID of an Alligator Gar (which I doubt highly) then its 100% Florida.
see this guy knows what’s up!! , yeah some guy told me he had a14 inch Florida , I go there it’s a gator gar

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
I don’t deny that it’s probably a Florida gar. I’m just clarifying that spotted gars are not rare in the southern states.

Respectfully,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,360 Posts
I would grab them. have to find time somehow though. I do work in south surrey though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts