British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is SO cheap compared to buying it all new. Come and get a deal. You might even be able to get some fishies for free. If you are wondering about the florescent lighting... we kept trying compact florescent but the ballists kept burning out. The larger florescent fixtures just keep working. In each fixture, we have one plant growing bulb and one purplish bulb to enhance the colour of the fish.

Bowfront 46 gallon - $250!!
Glass tank
glass top
wood stand
xp3 canister filter
heater
Magnetic cleaner
florescent lighting (old school but simple black hood)
some plants
nets, decor, gravel, food, chemicals, and a big box full of assorted extras

75 gallon standard rectangle - $150!!
glass tank
glass top
wood stand
xp3 canister filter
heater
magnetic cleaner
florescent lighting (old school but simple black hood)
some plants
nets, decor, gravel, food, chemicals, and a big box full of assorted extras

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From 2-4pm, you are welcome to drop by our house at 60 Howard Avenue, Burnaby to buy fish, plants and lots of random supplies. It's like a fishy garage sale.

Please see my listings in the various forums to see what we have. I haven't listed the boxes of things for sale. Filters and parts and food and all sorts of things. Cheap like Borscht!

Come on over.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm at a loss as to why these aren't selling. In the heyday of our fishkeeping days we would have been crazy for deals like this. I might keep the bowfront if it doesn't sell. Such a pretty tank.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm at a loss as to why these aren't selling. In the heyday of our fishkeeping days we would have been crazy for deals like this. I might keep the bowfront if it doesn't sell. Such a pretty tank.
Another reason why: not many people have the space because the real estate market is a seller's market (with demand exceeding the supply). The only way to make Vancouver more affordable is by increasing the housing density (that means more condos). Anyone who even wants to enter this hobby will most likely start with a nano tank <10G. Most condos also have a restriction for aquariums - in my case I am not allowed to have aquariums over 30G. Essentially, only someone older who already has the space who is into fishkeeping could consider it - or people still living at home. I'm thinking that most of this market already have enough tanks and it would take an extreme loss on your end to sway them to buy another.

As a 27 year old, there aren't many options. If I wanted to move into a relatively newer townhome and stay in the city, I'm looking at 700k at least nowadays and no one offers under asking price anymore. No one my age without the help of parents (which I do not have the luxury of) can even consider a detached home, even a rundown place. It is not a great time to be a fishkeeper in Vancouver, nor someone in the middle class. If I move to the interior, is it really worth commuting 3 hours every day? Sorry for the rant but I am also disappointed I can't have more tanks due to limited space =/...

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is a great deal, I'd buy the entire 75 setup but I'm in chilliwack. And that size tank won't fit in the back seat of a car. You're not the only one having trouble, I've had 3 light bars for sale since last February. 1 is even brand new half price, still not a sniff of interest.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Many valid points here - bad time of the year I agree. Housing market doesn't help either..

I have seen the 75G (I came to look at the Heckelii) - the tank is in excellent condition and great value for asking price.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Put it on Craigslist. Way larger audience. (and way more wierdo's too!):) I don't even bother posting everything on here anymore. 90% of the people that come come over, haven't even heard of BCA unfortunately. And it's definitely true, big tanks seem to be a thing of the past. Nano tanks, nano fish, shrimp, and plants are all the rage. Stores that cater to this are surviving, and the others are struggling or closing. Multiple reasons for this of course imo, but housing size and affordability are near the top of the list. Landlords don't want large aquariums, and u can't have them in alot of apartments it seems. Just my opinion and rant! Good luck with your sale, hold to your price, things should pick up come Sept........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.