British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, what I am selling here is the wild type form of red cherry shrimp, meaning "brown cherry" shrimp. I've been keeping these guys mixed in with regular red cherries (got them like that), and I don't want them to interbreed any longer, so I've been painstakingly fishing the brown shrimp out of my tank.

Here is a photo of one of the juveniles (best photo I could get of them), along with a RCS in the front. The adult females get to be a really nice deep brown colour (blends in really well with darker rock). In total, I have about 150 shrimp to sell (by my best estimate). You can try counting the total for yourself if you want :D.

Just some words of warning. I wasn't too discerning when I was trying to separate the brown shrimp from the red shrimp, and the juveniles of both brown and red are pretty colourless, so there may be a few "red" cherries mixed in there, most likely the males with less colour (I'll separate out any that show red colouration as I find them though). Also, these guys WILL interbreed with both red cherry shrimp and yellow shrimp (hence my reason for getting rid of them), so don't keep them mixed if you don't want bad-looking offspring.

Other than that, the shrimp are all extremely healthy, mainly fed hikari algae wafers, along with any leftover fish flakes and the occasional blanched cucumber, and at least a few of the females in the group are currently berried.

PM me if you're interested.

-Greg

EDIT: Well, since I have some shrimp pending sale now, I can't offer the whole colony to anybody anymore. Price per shrimp will remain at 75 cents each, but if you order a lot, expect discounts ;)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PM'd back. The water parameters are exactly the same as for RCS since they are technically the same shrimp (just a different colour morph).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bump. I still have tons of these shrimp left if anybody's interested. They've been breeding as well, so I may actually be back up to the original number of shrimp (albeit with younger shrimp).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wont tanganyikans eat them?
thats part of the idea... since its a highly rocky 90 gallon with java moss (hidden from view) i hoping that they will provide a natural entertaining food source, as they eat shrimp in the wild, (not that type but hey, close enough) and they could be apart of cleaning crew, as i assume a lot would make it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm unfortunately, I'm rarely ever out on the Island, and I know next to nothing about shipping livestock. Any chance of you ever coming over to the mainland?

·
Registered
957 Posts
As there is contant debate if betta can live with shrimps or will have a yummy snack, I would try with these as they look big enough. Can I have like 4-6 to try? If you can mix males and females in case they survive in the plants and could actually breed?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts