British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok, for those of you wanting an affordable dual stage regulator, I am looking for a trade.

The Good: Dual stage, brass, very reliable. I am looking for a straight trade with a 100% reliable single stage regulator.

The Bad: Needs a new solenoid. It either got damaged in a leak or is just worn out so it doesn't close all the way when hot so leaks CO2. No big deal, if it were only that I would keep it. The second problem is somewhere in the setup is a leak and in 2 weeks my 800 PSi of CO2 is gone and it's not going into the tank as the regulator is working as designed and holding the pressure. If I had the time and patience I would take it apart and clean it all and test each component, but since I have neither I am looking for the simplest solution which is to trade it someone who wants to fix it.

Caveat: I traded for this regulator with my single stage milwaukee and added $$ so this reg has been in service for multiple years. Until the end of last year when I ran out of CO2 and the diffuser got clogged up and I tried to clear it by cranking pressure up though, I never had a problem with it. If interested, PM me and show me what you have to trade. Please don't show me one that is junk and waste my time.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That`s an easy fix if you can determine the leak is not in the regulator.
Personally if the leak is external of the regulator it`s self, i would not get rid of it.
I have no way of determining that without checking it piece by piece and that's the time I am not sure I have. But it appears no one wants to try it so I might just store it for a while until I have time to fix it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have no way of determining that without checking it piece by piece and that's the time I am not sure I have. But it appears no one wants to try it so I might just store it for a while until I have time to fix it.
15 mins or less of your time is all is required to determine if you have an internal leak in the regulator.
Remove all post body parts from Regulator, acquire 1/4 NPT hollow hex plug or some other 1/4 NPT plug with thread sealant tape & plug 1/4 NPT port on Regulator.
attach reg. to co2 bottle, pressureise the regulator as if you were operating it before & close the valve on the co2 bottle- observe readings on gauges & note them- recheck readings after 24 hrs or so - pressure drops =internal leak, no pressure drop = good regulator, leak is external.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
acquire 1/4 NPT hollow hex plug or some other 1/4 NPT plug with thread sealant tape & plug 1/4 NPT port on Regulator.
This is the part I would have trouble with and spend the most time getting. Where would I acquire this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.