British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a number of different sundew (drosera) species for sale. These are sticky carnivorous plants that eat bugs, and they grow in peat moss & sand mix sitting in water, in bright daylight.

I've been growing most of the following for the past couple of decades and am looking to sell or trade for easy to grow aquarium plants, pond fish, guppies, or corys. I've also a few pitcher plants (sarracenia species) available if you're interested. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Also curious as to the care level of it and what it needs to be fed if you hand feed it.
like flytraps im pretty sure they cant winter/freeze over but might be able to handle some mild frost. that being said they probably need a dormant period during winter.. so like a cold basement/garage.
i dont think you need to hand feed it. it will attract plenty of bugs but if you can just throw crickets at it.
also tap water will kill them over time

definitely interested in one or two of the easier to care for ones. price for sundews?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ones I grow here are subtropical ones... thus, no winter dormancy required.
The round rosette species in Drosera venusta, from South Africa. Approx. 2" in diameter when mature. I'm selling mature specimens.
The lance shaped leaf is Drosera capensis var. narrow leaf; from South Africa. Each leaf can grow up to 4" in length. I'm selling 2 year old specimens... they mature at 2 to 3 years. Nice pink flowers.
The 'Y' shaped leaf is Drosera binata var. multifida; from New Zealand. Each leaf can grows up to 8- 10" in length. I'm selling 2 year old specimens... they mature at 2 to 3 years. Nice white flowers.
I'm selling them @ $4 each; 6 for $20

They're all very easy to grow. I grow all of mine in 10 gallon aquarium tanks in plastic 3" square pots filled with 50:50 peat moss and sand. There's always 1" on water in the uncovered tank, and the tanks face east, receiving direct sunshine giving the plants a nice red colour with lots of sticky dew... snatching up flies and spiders.

In the winter, cut back the watering so the plants' soil media is just moist to touch, but not sitting in too much water. It will slow down in growth. Or you can grow them under lights.

The key to growing these plants is poor nutrient growing media and lots of bright light.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll be available this Friday for transactions...and will be in contact via PM to make arrangements.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
I sent a pm right after you first posted but it got bounced back somehow. Sent another pm and posting on here this thread to make sure you know I'd like 6 plants please as part of my biological pest control system for my daughters' backyard urban farm.;)

Can buy or trade, up to you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am interested in a trade for sarracenia. I have some Sarracenia psittacina that I can trade for other species. I know I have a couple divisions in there and as you can see from the photo it's blooming right now.

Plant Flower Botany Flowerpot Terrestrial plant

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Sean, thanks for your note. Sure I'd be happy to trade. I'm away in Haida Gwaii this week. I'll pm you and arrange a day and time in early July

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are they easy to care for? Can they tolerate no water for 2 weeks when I go on vacation? If so I would love to trade. I have Guppies but they are rare Show Quality! Best Guppies you can get especially for tade! Karen 604=532=8670

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here is a more recent photo of my psittacina that I had to trade with you.

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Grass

Cheers,
Sean

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everyone,
I hadn't been on BCAquaria forum for awhile as I've been trekking through some jungles with limited access to internet. I'll be back in Vancouver the week of Sept 12th, so if any of you are still interested in some sundew plants, we can meet up later in September. :)

Thanks,
David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.