British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of running an "experimental" tank. (Yes its my 155Gallon). Everything is new inside the tank. New aragonite substrate, new (uncycled) filters [canisters + sponge] and lots of fish (50+ 1" fish)

I do have extra sponge filters and canisters that are cycled in my other tanks that I can move over, but decided to not do it and observe what happens.

I do a 25-30% WC every 3 days. The fish have been voraciously eating and healthy. No signs of stress etc.

I did however notice a fungalish growth in the sand substrate. I initally thought it was fish poop, but it spread fast within 2 days. When I did the water change I noticed that it was stuck to the sand and was fugusy (similar to fugus growth in fish eggs, but brown).

This is something interesting and unexpected. If this is related to lack of established bacteria, then I guess I will have to move a sponge filter over, but I really dont think this is the case. I think its related to excess food. I've already started feeding them sparingly (starting today).

I just wanted to know if anyone else have experienced this before and what they did to get rid of it. Its just a PITA to siphon them off because I loose a lot of sand with each WC.

Let me know what you think. Flaming is also welcome ;). Just drop your thoughs and suggestions here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think you're right about overfeeding being the major culprit here. Along with the lack of bacteria, it's able to run amok.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you have driftwood?

I had this problem on my giant piece of driftwood when I did a fishless cycle last year. I rinsed the stuff off before adding fish, it came back a little bit and fish would peck at but eventually it just went away. Like you said, it probably is just an immature bacteria colony.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have any driftwood or any other objects other than the aragonite sand substrate.

I can also add some lime rocks from my show tank to this one, but that would introduce good bacteria in the tank and my "observation" would be screwed up :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Honestly, I think it could just be a stage of cycling the tank, sort of like when everything turns brown before it goes to a healthy looking green, it's healthy so it won't hurt the fish I wouldn't think, just pleco it up with those BN's you have

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Does it look like this?

If so it may be bacterial in nature and not a 'fungus' at all.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i think tis gonna be over feeding as i had the same problem even on a cycled tank.. my bf watched my fish and really overfed them

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its definitely not like this Stuart.

I did read through your thread and I really hope this thing gets under control for you. I am sure you put in a lot of time and effort into this tank.

---

As an update to this thread. I didn't see too much growth in the past 2 days. I have been feeding less than what I normally do.

I am actually thinking of getting a few clown loaches (small ones) and put them in the tank. Maybe they will have a fun time eating all of those up. Input on this would be nice as I've never had clown loaches. Would they be good in a pH of 7.8 - 8.2?

I could add a few BNPs, but then I will need to add atleast 1 piece of driftwood in ther for them. Since the substrate is all sand, they will definitely need the wood or some rock to hang out on.

Does it look like this?

If so it may be bacterial in nature and not a 'fungus' at all.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
catfish arent a bad idea either
what types of catfish?

I wouldn't want something that grows fast since the tank currently has lots of Blue Moori fry 1" and a few Phenos at 1.5" and they grow slow...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was gonna say that but they require a lower ph
thats what I thought too...I am very limited on bottom feeders due to pH :(

Any ideas about clown loaches? These guys grow slow, so they should be fine with the little guys in the tank.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure why not. You know where I live :)

I am still going shopping though. Its a good excuse for me to look at some other fishes to buy too :D

Thinking of getting a Rostratus for my show tank. Just waiting for them to color up a bit at the pet store so that I can pick out a male.

·
Registered
623 Posts
how about corys, I know they require lower ph but I had them at higher before with no problem.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
well i should be going to see charles on fri.. PM me your address again and I'll pop by there and drop off a couple to see how they work for you

they are about 2" I think

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Bristlenose will work. Try to get medium sized ones. Small ones are fragile and larger ones get a little lazy as they age.

My baby BNP's are doing wonders in my tank.

Stuart

1 - 20 of 20 Posts