British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just thought id start a thread that was all about the funny/odd/cool things your fish do , to get your attention , so they can be fed ?? :D

any fish/pet owner is welcome to share :cool:

ok ill go first !!
my big niger catfish lets me know hes hungry , by smacking the airstone ball against the glass , til he is fed !! spoiled rotten ..(MASSIVORES)

my jumbo loaches beg like puppy dogs in a big group , up and down , up and down , over and over !! and of course they get what the want ..lol (LBW)

my rtg just goes to his feeding spot anytime im near the tank , fish related or not !! lol (LBW ,ARO STICKS )

:D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
my nile tilapia has taken to smacking water over the tank top when he doesn't approve of my dinner selection or when I ignore his begging. never actually see it, just clean up after it:)

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my nile tilapia has taken to smacking water over the tank top when he doesn't approve of my dinner selection or when I ignore his begging. never actually see it, just clean up after it:)
wow thanks i guess nobody else ?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
ok - my turn...!!

Out of all the weird and goofy things my fish do (and trust me, they do A LOT of weird and goofy things - they kinda take after me ;)), my absolute favorite has to be the loaches. I just LOVE watching their dolphin dance - that`s what I call their up down, up down dance that you described. Some mornings they do it for hours. I never get tired of watching it.

I also get a kick out of feeding the discus. Even the wilds will eat out of my hand now. I think that`s pretty neat too.

Oh, and my white crayfish climbs up a large plant and will take food from me, but I have to admit - I`m a little scared of that guy......his pinchers are HUGE :eek:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
my flowerhorns arent to crazy. they just look at me the then the top of the tank then back at me and then up and repeat till they are fed. or if i am doing a water change they will just bite my hand so i feed them

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks shelly

i guess , we can coin it the "dolphin dance " ..lol ?? ;)

ok - my turn...!!

Out of all the weird and goofy things my fish do (and trust me, they do A LOT of weird and goofy things - they kinda take after me ;)), my absolute favorite has to be the loaches. I just LOVE watching their dolphin dance - that`s what I call their up down, up down dance that you described. Some mornings they do it for hours. I never get tired of watching it.

I also get a kick out of feeding the discus. Even the wilds will eat out of my hand now. I think that`s pretty neat too.

Oh, and my white crayfish climbs up a large plant and will take food from me, but I have to admit - I`m a little scared of that guy......his pinchers are HUGE :eek:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My electric eel bashes around all the decor I had in the tank if he was not fed twice a day. Because of this I had to make his tank really bare and have nothing in it. Everytime though I open the lid of the tank he swims right up to the top of the tank about 2" below the water and waits. I feed him with a skwer because when I feed him basa it floats, always get a little shock.:)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My baby kribs have gotten used to me turning off the filter to feed them with a turkey baster. So now whenever I turn it off they all come up to the front glass and wait for food.

The funny thing is they are usually scattered all over the tank, and when you get close to the tank they actually stay just above the gravel and don't move so as to hide I guess, so I can't see many of them very well. So what I do when I want to count them of check up on them, is that I go and turn off the filter. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Little Clown Loach Googli has taken to sleeping on a big rock in the middle of the tank and keeps drifting off the rock and in to the current and bumping in to all the other fish and just goes right back to to rock to do it again... oh ya it's the same time everyday

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Little Clown Loach Googli has taken to sleeping on a big rock in the middle of the tank and keeps drifting off the rock and in to the current and bumping in to all the other fish and just goes right back to to rock to do it again... oh ya it's the same time everyday
ya loaches are the best ! , i could not imagine my tank without them [email protected]! :D

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
My Pbass rushes straight to the front of the tank when he sees me coming.
and then chases the sevrums away when they try to join him.
i love this fish is almost as good as a dog....

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Pbass rushes straight to the front of the tank when he sees me coming.
and then chases the sevrums away when they try to join him.
i love this fish is almost as good as a dog....
ya mine do as well !! they are # 1 beggers those bass ..

you interested in another one buds ??

pm me :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not really a habit, but nothing is funnier than watching my telescope goldfish scramble for food that they can smell as soon as it hits the water but can't see where it is because their eyes are pointed in completely opposite directions.

You can drop it right in front of their nose and watch them whirl around... WHEREISITWHEREISITWHIEREISIT! I smell it but I can't see it!!!

And then once they see it they have to chase it down in the filter current... watching those guys trying to swim fast is like watching a fat kid trying to paddle on an inner tube :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
My loaches have all the same habits of everyone elses... with the exception of the sleeping and floating. Mine anchor themselves down first lol

However, my platinum plakat Xavier has gotten into the habit of hopping in and out of the water when he wants food, which is all the time, and when you put your hand over the tank with a pellet... he jumps straight out to try and take it from you. Thank god we have a lid, this is an hourly occurance, the hopping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
as i read this thread my Clown Loach googlo just drifted upside down in to a school of 7 zebra Danios racing at the top of the tank... They are just crazy !!!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
My loaches have all the same habits of everyone elses... with the exception of the sleeping and floating. Mine anchor themselves down first lol

However, my platinum plakat Xavier has gotten into the habit of hopping in and out of the water when he wants food, which is all the time, and when you put your hand over the tank with a pellet... he jumps straight out to try and take it from you. Thank god we have a lid, this is an hourly occurance, the hopping.
i would really love to see a vid of your plakat doing his i'm hungry jump...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll see what I can do! My camera isn't so good and if he's like any other living being, he won't "perform" when I want him to!! lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts