British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about grabbing a couple geismen bulbs, probably 2 aqua flora(if i remember right, this is the one thats higher in the reds) and one midday.

unfortunatly, geismen are REALLY expensive, and was thinking that if there was enough interest, maybe we could grab a case. But before i started hunting around, i thought i'd better see what kind of interest there was in here.

Anyone intereted?

·
Registered
506 Posts
What length and wattage are you thinking?

BTW where are you located?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm in surrey, but work all over, so a meeting situation shouldn't be hard to figure out.

I'm thinking the 48" ho t-5 54w

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Try Ocean Aquatics. I've bought some before from them and they are very reasonably priced there. Maybe you guys could score a case price or something from them. Shipping T5's is dicey as they are so delicate.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
i;d be interested in a few 48" 54w.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i beleive they are 27-33 at ocean, and i'm hoping to get enough to get a bulk price....

adz, how many you thinking?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I looked in Ocean Aquatics site. They charge close to the same for their Giesemann bulbs as J & L Aquatics sells Giesemanns for.
I called Ocean Aquatics to ask if their German bulbs (their description) were actually Giesemann and they said they were.
He told me he would change their description of them on their site to avoid confusion.

I'm editing because I put some wrong info here. Ocean Aquatics has the 48 inch Giesemann Midday bulbs but do not have or keep the Aquaflora bulbs in stock. They would order it if requested and it takes 3 or 4 days to get. I was told this when i phoned them.
J&L Aquatics has them in stock.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
i'm thinking acouple aqua flora and a coupole midday ones so 4 only..

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use 1 AF to 3 MD.
I like this color the best personally, you might want to see first.
Also, buy at least an extra bulb or two just in case.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
485 Posts
JL has always given me a deal when I order somewhat in bulk. Does anyone have a relationship with Ocean to negotiate the deal? Get a price, and we can go to JL and see if they can meet or beat? I would really like to try these as I have heard such good things about them. Yet at twice the cost of T5's I usually buy It would be great to get a deal to try them out... I would go for 2MD and 1AF if the price was reasonably better than retail..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yah i just wanted to get some numbers before contacting anyone. It's hard for them to take someone seriously when they call and say, " um yah, i'm like on the internets webgroup thing, and like yah, we want somebulbs, but we don't wanna pay what your charging" LMAO alright, well maybe i wouldn't talk like that, but, yah, just wanted to make sure there was more then just me interested........

as it stands now, i beleive we're 2 short for a case. (assuming they come in 12 packs, beer does, doesn't everything??lol)

I'm going to try and contact them, and see what they say.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For those of us new to lighting - why is geismen a good brand?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
t-5's are universal.... so as long as the sunblaster is a high output, there should be no reason that is wouldn't work.....

Geismen is a brand name. Some consider them to be better then others for effieciency this that and the other. I've found some places that claim Geismen is strong, and or lasts longer. and i've found other places that think you can get more usablr light from other bulbs.

If you average all the opinions that i've found on the subject, the MIDDAY's are pretty much par for the course.

However, the AQUAFLORA bulbs, are in the 6700k area needed for great plant growth, but have had some colour tweaking, so that they can amplify the colours of the plants and fish, especially reds and blues reportedly.

I personally find that typical 6700k's have a bit of greenish tinge to them, and 10,000k washes out colours a bit. I've had the AUQUAFLORA before a while ago, and if i remember right, it had almost a kind of pinkish tinge to it. So it makes a nice balance to the spectrum.

The wholesale rep for ocean aquatics is away for the weekend, so hopefully i'll have some numbers early next week. I'll contact JL after that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
For those of us new to lighting - why is geismen a good brand?
It's German made. (BMW Eheim girls etc.....)

Just kidding and I know nothing about the technical aspects of light bulbs but I bought a 48" Giesemann Aquaflora bulb the other day. Before buying it,i was able to compare a Giesemann bulb with the comparable Coralife Colormax bulb side x side in a test fixture with reflectors. The difference in brightness was so dramatic that i spent the extra eight bucks without hesitation. The Coralife bulb looked dim and ready for repacement whereas the Giesemann was blindingly bright. As i said, i can't tell you why it's brighter, i just know it definitely was. Whether that's better i don't know but it sold me. That plus i had read good reviews on the brand and wasn't completely kidding about liking German made products.

The other bulb in my fixture is a 6700K Coralife bulb that i got new for 13 bucks a few weeks ago. The other day, my intention was to go get the Colormax bulb to complement it in my Hagen fixture but after the comparison, i didn't buy it. Nothing against Coralife as i was about to grab another of their bulbs and i don't know any different but i would spend the money on the Giesemann bulbs now. Also, I was only able to compare these two brands so i'm sure there are other good choices out there.

Money's tight and i need other fish tank related items but I am seriously thinking of trying to get in on this possible Giesemann group buy and get a 48" Midday bulb to replace the 6700K daylight Coralife i just got. That may be silly but i want the Giesemann MD bulb to complement the AF now anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm hoping to have this set by the end of next, if everything goes well, so you still got some time WCL ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, i have an aproximate price for the bulbs, but have agreed to not post it on the forum, so please if your interested PM me. In order to get this price, would do have to meet the MIN purchase of 30 bulbs. Spred the word, lets see if we can drum up a couple more people and make this happen.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Are are you also able to order 36" bulbs? if so i'll be interested in a couple af bulbs too.

One quick question tho, would picking up the bulbs be a problem? I noticed your location says "en" on it but i'm not sure where that really is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts