British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was pretty cool, one of my male tapajos quit eating for a couple days, I was starting to get a little concerned when I realized he was holding some fry in his mouth, I thought this was a little strange because I never noticed this male spawning before. Well 3 weeks later he paired up with one of my female tapajos and decided to spit these fry out, they looked quite different from the other geophagus fry I had from another pair, I was able to get one out of the big tank and into my 20 gallon and now 2 weeks later it's quite obvious he is not a geo at all but a boesemani rainbow!

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
20200126_001648.jpg

At the top in this pic

Reactions: CRS Fan

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
20200126_133733.jpg
Here it is plywood build 6.5 long 4 feet deep and around 31 tall

Reactions: Redshrimp2709

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
20200108_194824.jpg
Built into the wall in the basement living room

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
20191202_072659.jpg
The proud parents

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya I ended up with a few nice pairs of them, tons of colour on these ones too especially the females. Just noticed today I have a pair of acara as well, I think I'm going to need a couple grow out tanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you ever want to shoot the breeze and chat fish over a beer let me know. Nice to see another dedicated hobbyist in Abbotsford.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely always nice to meet a fellow hobbyist

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've kept Tapajos a couple times over the years - but that male is probably the best I've seen.

They're pretty intelligent fish - I don't want to derail your thread but I have to tell this quick story;

A pair were spawning and a stupid dwarf panda cory kept swimming into their area. The male would scoop him up in his mouth and spit him out, away from their territory.
After a while I guess the cory freaks and spreads his pectoral & dorsal fins; lodging himself in the males mouth.

I didn't know what to do, and after a day or two the male geo was obviously uncomfortable - bordering on distress. I opened the tank lid, figuring I would have to try net him, and he swam straight up into my hand. No effort required. I just lifted him out of the tank and removed the (now dead) cory with a pair of needle-nose pliers and plopped him back in the tank as good as new.

Only telling this story because my wife was right there with me can vouch that I am not crazy or a liar. Otherwise I wouldn't believe myself. It was unreal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes they are definitely one of my favorites very fun to watch them doing their thing, tons of colour great temperment and they don't get too big. I was lucky to get a few nice pairs of them, I am raising about 200 fry right now and can't wait to see how they turn out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts