391 Posts
Sticky until we find out if this recall is for Canada as well

Anyone add info as they find it.

J

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the simply discus thread! Looks like new threads are showing up everywhere! If it is valid in Canada wonder if any sponsor will be accepting the return without receipts since I have no idea where mine went! Maybe I'll try petsmart today to see if they know anything!
Stealth pro heater recall

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
you know, ive been noticing my tank getting warmer with this heater. i leave it @ 68 and its hot to the touch. Maybe i should switch out.

im going to keep a close eye on this thread. thanks for posting!!

mine is not a "pro series", but i will also check @ petsmart today for my own benefit.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
stealth recall

I just bought 2 stealth pro 50 watt heaters have not used them yet, now after reading and seeing some of the reviews I'm returning them and I'll go with eheim jager. :(

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
wonder if this just involves Petsmart....was trying to find out more info....the marineland website says nothing about it. And every forum I've seen any info about it on. is the same email from Petsmart to whoever. You'd think Marineland would post it on their website. I don't see anything about it on Petsmarts website either.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I just verified with Petsmart on Marine way that this is totally valid.
If you have the reciept and it's within 60 days , you can get a full refund
if you don't then they will do 1 of 2 things:
1) issue a store credit/gift card ( I believe he said would be good for 60 days)
2) let you exchange it

here is a copy of the email Petsmart sent out:

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
going by all the horror stories I have read about them , I would say it probably affects them all lol
glad I went with the visa-therm series... gonna go with Jager from here on out myself probably

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
Hi Folks,
I found this letter on another forum,
This number works from Canada but they are closed today 800-526-0650

I have 2 of there Marineland Stealth Pro heaters:<(

Marineland Stealth Pro Heater Recall Issued

This has been posted on a zillion forums:

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued [chain store name here] Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest [chain store name here] for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A [chain store name here] store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At [chain store name here], we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Unfortunately, I've been throwing mine in the trash!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Incidentally, I used various brands of heaters. Never have a propblem with any brand except the Stealth. Most brands, except Ebo, eventually leaks into the glass part - at least that is a visual warning to keep any eye out.

The plastic of the Stealth, the fact they are also black, could fail without any warning.

Ebo I think is now my preference until I found a worthwhile Titanium. My first Ebo bought over 12 years ago is till going strong. Also have one that is probably 20 years old. Although the new Ebo does not appear to be as robust.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I knew I should have stuck with my gut and picked up the my trusty Ebo. They are the only ones that have not failed or disappointed me.

FYI - Another bad heater that I had was the Tronics. 1 died in 2yrs and 1 in 2mos (250W - which the Stelth pro replaced). Email and called Hagen and haven't heard peep from them.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Are all marineland stealth heaters part of the pro series? I have a two stealth heaters and I still have the box but it does not have pro on it anywhere just stealth shatter proof heater

1 - 20 of 141 Posts