British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The only stealth pro I have is in my cray tank...and it's crap and getting turfed to be replaced by an ebo jager. It's set to 86 and the tank is barely at 70. Fortunately the crays like it at that temp.

I had a thread a while back on how crappy these heaters are..sadly I can't say I'm surprised by the recall.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I knew about this problem ... water change yesterday in my 90 and pulled the stealth ... this is what it looked like! So off I went to PetSmart. They wouldn't take it back without a receipt. So here I am reading up on everyone's done.

I feel like a bad fish owner! My poor fish had to live with this in their tank!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just a follow up to my last post. I went to PetSmart today and they got the manager and offered me credit or a replacement heater and I took the credit. $103 for 2x250 W Stealth (non-Pro). They were very good about and apparently, there have been a lot of people going in. There was a guy doing the same thing as me as I was leaving. I used the $ to get Fluval M series (wanted to try an M but they didn't have it), a bottle of Prime, and a jar of Nutrafin Max Pleco Logs. Still have enough credit left for some fish, and wanted some otos or Farlowellas, but they were too busy.
So they are giving credit for the "non" Stealth heaters too even though there is no recall for them? Which location please?

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
So they are giving credit for the "non" Stealth heaters too even though there is no recall for them? Which location please?
to my knowledge ,only the stealth "pro" is what petsmart is taking back. I recently had a visitherm heater go bad, emailed marineland about it and they sent me a new one and didn't want the old one back apparently as the email said nothing about returning it, nor did the package the new one came in. They were very good about replacing it fast and easy.

Well, I knew about this problem ... water change yesterday in my 90 and pulled the stealth ... this is what it looked like! So off I went to PetSmart. They wouldn't take it back without a receipt. So here I am reading up on everyone's done.
If it's a stealth pro 100, 200 or 250 watt heater they should be taking them back below is a copy of the letter Petsmart sent out. Should tell them to contact the other stores or their main office to verify it. They can even google it.... it's on almost every aquarium related forum on the net. If nothing else , contact Marineland and they will take care of your heaters. Replaced my visitherm heater and never asked for a receipt, how long I had it or even requested the old one to be sent back.

Petsmart will do the following
If you have the receipt and it's within 60 days , you can get a full refund
if you don't then they will do 1 of 2 things:
1) issue a store credit
2) let you exchange it

here is a copy of the email Petsmart sent out:

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Grandview and Rupert for sure. Returned 2 x 100W for over $70 after taxes. Good deal
Nice! I will bring my 250W Stealth there tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Got 56 bucks credit. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
my stealth heater exploded as well....are fumes dangerous?

I feel bad for the poor people that had their tanks destroyed. In this respect I am very lucky. My heater exploded earlier tonight in a seventy gallon grow out system inhabited by two hundred baby percula clowns. I have picked out all the pieces of plastic and done a half water change (I only had a small amount of sea water premade). The smell is just awful and it has stunk up the whole house. It is also still eminating from the baby tanks. I am more concerned however about the health of my family and the baby clowns. Does anyone know the effects of the noxious fumes? I have called the company and emailed them but it is late at night and no one is available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine has exploded...are the fumes poisinous?

I feel bad for the poor people that had their tanks destroyed. In this respect I am very lucky. My heater exploded earlier tonight in a seventy gallon grow out system inhabited by two hundred baby percula clowns. I have picked out all the pieces of plastic and done a half water change (I only had a small amount of sea water premade). The smell is just awful and it has stunk up the whole house. It is also still eminating from the baby tanks. I am more concerned however about the health of my family and the baby clowns. Does anyone know the effects of the noxious fumes? I have called the company and emailed them but it is late at night and no one is available.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
just my opinion but it's probably is just from the electrical, electrical fires and such usually stink pretty bad and linger for awhile. I would open a window and let it air out. I wouldn't think there would be any harmful effects in the air to worry about. Don't know about the water, but water changes would only be a good thing Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to talk to anyone at marineland till Monday morn. I would definitely call them ,as it will take them a few days to reply to your email.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
UPDATE on stealth heaters

I received an e-mail from MOPS mail order pet supplies yesterday saying that Marineland in conjuction with United pet group have decided that they will do a voluntary recall of all stealth heaters 100 watts and higher. this includes Marineland black stealth & stealth pro series, the reason being possible wiring problem. Call 1 - 800 - 338 - 4896 Monday to Friday to arrange a replacement of the faulty heater. I have a older black stealth heater so I called them and they are sending me a Visatherm to replace it.
Once you get the replacement they would like the old back, I guess so they can check them out and find the problem point.
Cheers Laurie :eek:

121 - 140 of 141 Posts