British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a school of arround 11 Cardinals in a 15 tall. Its also stocked with 3 long finned danios who swim around like their on drugs, 6 white clouds, 6 pristella tetras. I'm trying to get the cardinals to school, but they just seem so damn relaxed and only come together once in a while, most of the time i only see a 2 groups of 3 and then stragglers everywhere else.

Any suggestions (probably of what fish to get to scare them together)

·
Registered
318 Posts
i do not know....i have cardinals that school with the neons...but yah..the danios scare them sometimes...like u said..danio are active and all over the place usually the top half of the water tho...and the tetras usually take the mid levels...and the shrimps..usually the bottom(but amanos...just like the danios..pretty active)...but yah...i dun have as many cardinals as you..but they still kinda school together(a few like to chill on their own sometimes)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i know when i had a school of 50 of them they were always together .....
maybe you need a few more.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
you need more. And in a bigger tank, they school better.
I 2nd that.

A 15G doesn't give them enough room to be schooling around anyways.

If you ever invest in a bigger (longer) tank in the future, then consider buying a few more extra cardinals and then you will see them school together.

Buying more is not really necessary. From my experience, I had a school of 15 in my 75G and they were always schooling (lot more swimming space)

·
Registered
215 Posts
yes they do school but they are a "loose" schoolers.

I have about 50-60 of them in my 75 gal at one point and they will school. Generally they are just really relaxed doing not much of anything in the background with the plants. You need a much bigger tank tho, my school take up over 1/2 of my tank.

·
Registered
197 Posts
by my count you have 26 fish in a 15 gallon tall. that's just about approaching pet store stocking levels:) Move them into a 33 gallon and add a couple of pairs of dwarf cichlids, like Kribensis or Keyhole cichlids and you will definitely see schooling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts