British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this guy in my fridge last night!!!??? No idea how he got in there but I almost fainted when I opened it and seen him running around..

anyone know what kind he is? ..... I orginally thought wolf spider but im not sure?

Check out his fangs and his evil smiley face on his back

·
Registered
17 Posts
He looks like a wolf spider to me. Those aren't fangs but a set of legs, like hands, for eating and holding prey. If it isn't a wolf spider... it could be a brown recluse or a fiddleback which are very poisonous, but I don't think so. Squish him or let him go outside around a tree stump. I agree with Dave though, he probably got in with your fruit or veggies or something.

Cheers!
Dylan

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
wow . I found one just like that in the bath tub last night but only bigger and he was not happy when i removed him from the tub...

·
Registered
516 Posts
It is not a wolf spider, it is a common house spider. It is a Tegenaria species, most likely duellica. The hobo spider is also a Tegenaria sp., but they aren't common around here yet.

They are harmless, that is a male, he was probably out looking for a mate and somehow climbed into your fridge. Or he was on something that got put in the fridge. They can bite, but usually only if they get stuck in your clothes or bedding and are trapped.

Oh, as to the brown recluse spider comment, they are tiny spiders, this spider is quite large.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
he was probably hot like every one else.................on a side note.........i notice my fish r not fond of spiders.............you would think that spiders fell in the water off trees all the time..................

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice to know he isn't poisonous and that those aren't fangs :)

He spent the night in the fridge because i was too scared to catch him last night. He was running around like a mad man and it was too late to be screaming and dropping things. This morning was much easier to catch him since he could barely move :( I let him warm up in the cup and adjust to warmer temps for a while and just released him in the garden a few minutes ago :) As soon as I brought him outside he got really active in his cup and when released he ran quickly under a plant :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
European house spider. Very common in the lower mainland and often confused with the wolf spider. Nowadays often called just the house spider.
Harmless, dont kill it. My understanding is they take a few seasons to get that big.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
DISGUSTING!!!
I'll send you my cat your way, he ends up with a dead spider daily, he can take care of your troubles!

·
Registered
516 Posts
He is venomous, all spiders have venom. But the venom isn't dangerous to humans. The bite would likely be an itchy patch, like a mosquito bite, though sometimes you can develop a bit of a sore from these guys too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A curious spider is a dead spider in my books... you stay hidden, or in your corner, and I leave you be. Kill the other bugs. You cross my path or, gasp!, get found on my clothes or bedding... goodnight!

I once had a Daddy Long Legs in my bedroom named Bob, he lived in the corner of the ceiling. He slowly starved b/c my room is a vacuum to help my allergies & asthma, lol. Anyway, one day Bob wandered during the day, I found him at bedtime on my pillow, under my blankets. He got evicted quickly.
Apparently they are one of the most venomous spiders, but their fangs are so short they can't pierce our skin!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've seen these before too. Usually my wife sends me a frantic message while I'm at work and I come home to a spider "under glass". My job is to make it go "away"... Sometimes they simply turn into a fishy snack, the alternative is the old sandal squash and toss. I personally think this spider of yours was loading up on the butter you have in your fridge :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts