British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Does anybody know where to get pieces of glass cut at a certain size? I'm building a DIY glass sliding lid for my tanks and I'm not sure where to get the glass.
Thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Based on google - Crystal Glass should work for you in Richmond.
You could always try to find some plate glass for free on craigslist and buy a glass cutter and tempt fate by doing it on your own its fairly easy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had crystal or speedy do some cutting for me. Can't remember which one, it is just off Kingsway in Burnaby. I think it is imperial St.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Look on craigslist, get free glass and try to cut it yourself. It's easy.
Piece of glass from art frame is just one example.
I don't have too much experience, but if the glass is free, bring it over and we'll learn together.
New glass is soft and easy to cut. Older, is more brittle, I find, and sometimes it won't cut exactly where you want.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response everyone! I contacted Crystal Glass in richmond. I was quoted $20+ tax for two pieces of glass at 15cmx59cm, 3mm thick. $20 seems like a fair price to pay?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the glass today. i got it cut from crystal glass. the actual price for 2 pieces + safety edge was only $13 including tax. pretty cheap!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks for this thread and discussion ... I had some specific tank ideas to take maximum use of my fish room and was thinking of a DIY build. I thought I'd contact Concept Aquariums first. They were more than helpful. They quoted a great price and said the easiest way for me to go would be to order through King Ed's as they deal with them all the time and would be able to ship to them. This makes it easier for me and pretty easy pick-up as well.

Thanks again BC AQ ...

·
Registered
420 Posts
I, too, bought from Crystal Glass (in Chilliwack). I do not know if all these stores are connected, but the service I received in Chilliwack was top-notch. Done same-day. $6 for one piece on a 10-gallon tank. I gave the man $10 because the quality and service were certainly worth the price.

:0)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts