British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
I didn't either until I saw Kelvin's goldfish!!! Never thought twice about them but I saw a fish on his website and just thought 'that fish it gorgeous I have to have it!' So I convinced my parents to let me have a 50g, broke down a few tanks and put a goldfish tank together. 6 months later I have the fish that started it all staring at me begging for food as I type :D

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
fair enough, im still hooked on the african cichlids personally, i like a bit more aggression/intelligence/parental care.

i was told goldfish are bread to live in ponds and mainly to look good when viewing them from above, is this true? maybe this is why theyre so freaking ugly when viewing from the side?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Some are, some aren't. With the prevalence of aquariums in the 20th century 'side-view' (as opposed to top-view) strains have been developed.

Also, goldfish are bred to be beautiful in a 'chinese' way. For instance ranchus and lionheads are mean to look like those weird asian-style lions. Not far off the mark, I'd say!!! And anything with a white body & red head (ie a red-cap oranda, tancho ranchu or tancho koi) is meant to look like cranes. Then there are dragon-eyes, meant to look like dragons. The list goes on.

In addition to semblance to chinese art, features such as symmetry, conformation and colour are oftne prized. Symmetrical markings are very important. A 12 point goldfish will be a solid colour with each of 12 points (ie eyes, nose, tips of all the fins) in a different colour. Tail shape is also big. When viewed from above, the tails must be perfectly symmetrical. Kelvin's butterfly tails are in the exact silhouette of a butterfly when viewed from above.

Feng shui is also considered, for instance black fish (thinking of the black moor here) are considered lucky wheras you would never see a pure white fish
before goldfish became popular where feng-shui was not considered (North America and Europe)

Personally I am not a huge fan of the bubble-eyes and celestials and pom-poms (although I'm getting partial to ranchus and orandas) but I was really struck by the colour and elegant shape of the well-bred goldfish I saw on China's Finest Goldfish. Basing your opinion off pet-store goldies just doesn't do them justice. Just get a load of kelvin's butterfly tails... they are very pleasing to the eye for goldfish noobs and pros alike.

And in response to something said earlier, goldfish are often touted as the most intelligent fish... they can be taught tricks and love to goof around when you have your hand in the tank. My goldfish likes to chase the mag-float even though i move it way to fast for her. They're really good beggars and are always wanting food from anyone stopping by the tank. Its also fun to watch them interact with each other and form 'friendships'-- they are very social fish and in some countries its illegal to keep them singly.

Hope that answered your question haha! As you can see I am a dedicated convert, even though these buggers waste tank space like mad IMO!

A fantastic fish in the making since 1000 A.D.!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Go ahead! In fact I'd love to do a testimonial or writeup... I'm looking into writing some copy. Satsuma is doing great and is as feisty as ever. She's no longer a tricolor (she lost the black tips soon after I got her... maybe it was a diet thing? But she still has her 'lipstick'!

Can't wait til the new stock rolls in!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone buying from China's Finest before. My go-to quality goldfish seller in Canada would be Fish Sempai at http://www.fishsempai.com . I know for sure they have high quality fish.

I know Rain Garden ships to Canada as well. www.raingarden.us . I've bought from them before and they have healthy, gorgeous fish.

My first impression of the China's Finest site is that they are a mass importer - you only get to see "example" photos of the type of fish you want, not the actual fish you are buying. That makes me nervous. Their fish are cheap but you get what you pay for and the photos show it.

If you can go into their physical stock room and check out the fish they have, it's worth a shot. But I wouldn't buy from them - I want to see the actual fish I'm buying!
I personally have purchased several of the fish from Chinas Finest, and i can assure you they are of the highest quality. Not only does Kelvin take pictures of the actual fish you can purchase, he actually takes it a step further and also has video footage of each individual fish, there are no example photos from Chinas Finest. Kelvin does not mass import goldfish, he only provides select show quality goldfish.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I personally have purchased several of the fish from Chinas Finest, and i can assure you they are of the highest quality. Not only does Kelvin take pictures of the actual fish you can purchase, he actually takes it a step further and also has video footage of each individual fish, there are no example photos from Chinas Finest. Kelvin does not mass import goldfish, he only provides select show quality goldfish.
Seconded! I have cruised both thefishsempai and raingarden... I'm sure they have great fish but when I checked the fish sempai was mostly out of stock and raingarden... well some of their fish are nice but they are quite expensive and I rarely find a telescope that 'grabs' me (aka has the round-bodied look of a China's Finest Goldfish fish.)

And I can confirm, Kelvin is in no way a mass importer... he may even run this out of his townhouse (correct me if I'm wrong). The fish are individually photographed and when you buy, what you pick is the very fish that shows up on your doorstep! Furthermore he photographs them in white light (wheras some other importers take their pictures under red or blue lights to enhance colors) so you can see the actual color the goldfish will be when its in your tank at home.

I know I sound like a suck-up but as a first-time goldfish buyer I was just really impressed with CFG. The colors and shape of the fish I got for $45 are spectacular and I never knew goldfish could look so good! I don't think the hobby of goldfish would have just 'grabbed' me the way it did if I had chsen another website to look at.

EDIT: Whoops what a waste of typing... I think sheela is a bot.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.