British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
What kind of silicone did you use? Most of the GE 100% silicone caulks I find state "Do not use under the waterline or in aquariums". All the other "aquarium silicone" are horrendously overpriced. I have a feeling it's just the same stuff...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
What kind of silicone did you use? Most of the GE 100% silicone caulks I find When "Do not use under the waterline or in aquariums". All the other "aquarium silicone" are horrendously overpriced. I have a feeling it's just the same stuff...
You can get clear or white aquarium silicone at home hardware for like $6.5 a tube. Just picked up 2 yesterday to reseal a 70g.

Nice work.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's pretty much what I figured - thanks for confirming! I couldn't see how 100% silicone was going to be that different between aquarium grade and non, except maybe what gets released DURING curing...

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would be VERY careful with the white silicone, it usually contains a mold reducing ingredient, poison. I know there is a fish safe silicone, and a range of not safe ones, I would google DIY Joey and watch his recommendations.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i used aqueon silicon but yes...it is ABSOLUTELY OVER PRICED...

PS: the seal failed, the corner was still drippy, just got a new aqueon tank from petco on a visit to the US, the tank was cheaper than the silicone though...how ironic

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i mean...the old one was a Tetra tank, and they have bad reviews. also i kinda moved it too much so maybe the glass has loose seals and it was kinda my fault

1 - 9 of 9 Posts