British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just sold my beautiful 40 gallon acrylic, I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket, and an itch to try something new (and smaller of course)! The Fluval edge has caught my eye, but I am thinking it would work better as a non-planted tank since I don't particularly want to get into modding the supplied lights.

Just wanted to get some opinions though... I had looked into dwarf shellies (Neolamprologus multifasciatus) awhile back, and even bought a few of the basic supplies I'd need for them... has anyone heard of or tried the Edge tank as a possible home for them? Does anyone have any thoughts on this: pros or cons?

I'm thinking it could work well as a species-only tank... but what could I use to keep algae at bay? Can I mix these shellies with any other species at all?

I do have a 5 gallon rimless that I am "supposed" to get rid of, so I may just use that... This time around I would use the factory canopy/light, so it would definitely only work for a non-planted setup.

The other question would be: Is there anywhere in the Lower-mainland currently where I could get a few of these little fellas?

My other option is to get one of those small cube tanks (2-3 gallons?) that I've seen at Rogers. I've been looking at those for years, waiting for an excuse to get one. I'd use my Aqualight Mini on it, as well as a small filter, add some low-tech plants (will have to go to the next VAHC meeting!), then move one of my bettas from their "boring" home, or maybe go for some rasboras, endlers, Amanos (?), or dwarf corys for a "dwarf species" tank.

Does anyone have any inspiration pics of their own similar setups? I want to do this one properly, but also know I am not very good with anything requiring CO2. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
773 Posts
You sold your tank. Oh I loved it but am broke.
How about you do my dream a shrimpie and chili Rosboras. Yah blue shrimpies would look night with the red fish. That way I can live through you lol, since I am to scardy cat to put fish in my shrimpie tank.

·
Registered
124 Posts
HUGE fan of chilis. They're super friendly little guys, very colorful. Not too active, though. I had 'em in my .5 gallon for a while and they even happy in that! They will jump, however.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Target: Nice 15g setup you've got going! I've only kept amanos so far, so might have to venture to some CRS or others myself. :)

Otter: Thanks for the heads-up... jumping fish can be a problem if there's no lid. :eek:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
some nerite snails in with the multis would eat up algae
i have a 10g with that combo in it atm, its fun watching the multi's and i love their bright blue eyes
i think theyd look fantastic in a fluval edge esp if you got some nice shells for em to live in

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm working on the idea with hubby, but if I get Multies, I essentially have to set up another tank - he is wary of that. If I do the small cube idea, I'm just "swapping" an old tank for a new one, so I may have to go that route to keep the peace ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love small tanks! I always used to read people complaining about how small tanks are too hard to maintain but I've had the most luck with my 5 gal and betta tanks... Never had much luck with my 10, 14 or 25!! :(

·
Registered
957 Posts
Why they are hard to maintain? A good filter like AC20 and maybe a sponge intake and you're all set. Water is always crystall clear and water change of 20% means 1 g a week - EASY!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why they are hard to maintain? A good filter like AC20 and maybe a sponge intake and you're all set. Water is always crystall clear and water change of 20% means 1 g a week - EASY!
Ditto! That's exactly why I love 'em!! :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aha!

My latest thought is that I may already have what I need for my low-tech nano project - my Tetra Wonders 1.5 gallon just might make a perfect shrimp tank! It only has a very faint LED light but should be ok for java fern, java moss and perhaps a small anubias... It has a cover, so although it's not airtight, it should deter some shrimp from escaping. Am I forgetting to account for anything else?

It is this one (looks really smart for such a cheap little tank):

I'd just have to get a good (but small) sponge filter!

What does everyone think? Any other plant or livestock ideas for such a small tank?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts