British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got quit a bit of green and very brown stuff on my limestone rocks. The demasoni seem to eat some of it. Is this stuff harmful for fish?

Ps water parameters are fine so it doesn't seem to affect water quality
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
african cichlids like Demasonis love green algae and its good for them , I dont think they eat the brown though. Back when I kept Malawis , I tried to harvest green algae on rocks lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
If you can't get it off the rocks, put them into the sun for a week and then scrub it off and you are good to go again. Algae won't hurt your fish, but you want to make sure you get rid of it before the black hair algae shows up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,925 Posts
should be fine, my demasoni and yellow labs pick at it sometimes too

if you dont like the looks of it though just give your rocks a bleach bath in 1:20 bleach:water overnight then rinse and let them dry again overnight in the sun (or use your wifes hairdryer to speed things up like i do)

they come out sparkling white :p all the chloride ions evaporate at room temp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
I didn't think that Limestone was good for fish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i actually dont mind the look of it. It gives it a natural look and holds lots of beneficial bacteria. Just dont want the brown stuff to be something that makes them sick.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top