British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this in one corner of my 2.5g bowfront. They're little greenish spots, about the size of the pinhead. Does it look like blue green algae?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Nope. That looks like BBA (Black brush algae). BGA is bluish-green, slimy and smells really really bad. Don't worry, you'll know if you have it. I assume this is in one of you betta tanks. Might just want to cut the light back a bit after you scrape it off.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's a betta tank (is there any other kind of tanks? :p). I've got what I'm pretty sure is BGA in my other tank (but wasn't sure if it took different forms or something), which I've actually managed to keep under control with just cutting the light back. Since the two tanks are on the same timer, it'll be easy to just cut both back a bit more.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Yeah, there are pleco tanks. :D

If you have BGA, it could also be an accumulation of organics (is it right against the glass just below the gravel or at the gravel line?). If you feel it with your fingers you'll feel the sliminess and the smell doesn't go away even after you wash your hands. :(

If you do a quick gravel vac, it should clean that up. It commonly occurs there.

Another way to keep them at bay is to just dose a tiny bit of Excel once a week or so.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, pleco tanks are just a whole different brand of awesome :D

Yeah, in the bigger tank the BGA is mostly on the gravel. It's pea gravel, so it's a bit tricky to clean, but I did get a gravel vac a few weeks ago and it does suck up a lot of gunk. Only thing with the vac is that it drains the water faster than I can get all the gravel. So every week there's always spots I miss.

Anyhow, cut down the light on both an extra 30 mins for now, and might even cut it down further as we get into summer, since the room gets some natural light in the morning.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Anyhow, cut down the light on both an extra 30 mins for now, and might even cut it down further as we get into summer, since the room gets some natural light in the morning.
Ah...that might be your problem right there. I have a 15 gallon in my bedroom (doesn't everyone have a tank in their bedrooms?) where direct sunlight hits one side, even though the light is filtered through a frosted (bathroom) window. No matter what I do, I can't keep that side clear of algae, and I'm forever cleaning it. If the light is direct on the tank, it'll continue to give you problems.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i have the same thing not really sure what it is but the dots get bigger. they dont really smell and are not slimy but when i ran my fingers over it feels rough comes off with a plastic sraper i do it every month or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts