British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm in Cloverdale.
Just registered a few days ago as emile (real name Paul - DiscusPaul - hehe)

I'm a retired Int'l. banker who's roamed the world in my 40 year working career.
Have been keeping freshwater & marine tropicals on & off for more than those 40 years, but the constant moving about the globe hindered the hobby a lot, causing me to sell-out/give-away, then to re-start in a new city, many times. (Lived in 31 different homes in 18 cities in my lifetime - throughout Canada, in the U.S., Europe, & Asia/Far East.
As a teener in the 'Peg - (don't ever really want to go back there - great people but awful weather!), I kept about a dozen tanks in a dungy basement room - bred quite a number of different freshwater egglayers - danios, tetras, barbs, angels, betas, etc.
In those days, neons were about the same price as they are today, believe it or not, (expensive to buy then though, in the 50's) but almost all others were less expensive, as I'm sure you would imagine.
I'd grow out the fry for 2-3 months, then sell them to the LFS' for a nickel or a dime each!
Wow, things have sure changed.

Hobbyists didn't know a whole lot about proper water chemistry in those days - it was mostly trial by error & 'you takes your chances' - & 'by guess & by gosh'. Unless of course you were a long seasoned veteran - were many of those around - that's were you learned pretty much everything you needed to know.
Did have heaters & filters though, but hardly knew what Ph was, let alone to have a kit & be able to test it ! Luckily, Ph coming out of the tap was pretty good (so I was told) with hardly any ammonia or chlorine, if any.

Tried saltwater a few times years ago, but didn't have much luck -at that time there was a humongous lack of knowledge compared to today - don't think I ever had a butterfly fish last more than a month - & I tried quite a few times ! Lost a lot of $$$ !
Well, I'm risking boring you to death, so I'll try & cut this down.
While living In Singapore, Hong Kong, & other parts of s.e. asia, I did get to see quite a number of discus breeding/ raising operations in Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand - wow - those guys sure know what they're doing - however it is a little easier for them - fish were kept in outdoor tanks
for the most part, & the temp. 24/7/365 - was almost always above 80 F. !
(No expense for heaters that's for sure!)

Hadn't raised any discus at that point, but always wanted to, so decided to jump in now that I'm retired & have all the time in the world for the almost daily W/C's; regular, frequent tank, filter, substrate, etc. cleanings, & am quite enjoying it.
Am raising 6 juvies in a 44 gal. planted/growout/show tank & having a lot of fun watching them grow - had to downsize once already - started out about 5 months ago with 14 quite small guys - my largest now, a beautiful red melon, is about 4" +, & has become quite "pushy/shovey/chasey" with the other 5, but I guess that's par for the course for these guys.
Well, it was great chatting at you - thanks for hanging in to this point. Always was long-winded - although that did seem to help in banking - as long as you stayed away from the BS. !
Ciao,
Discus Paul (emil)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
welcome Discus Paul.....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thanks for sharing a part of yourself! =)

And yes, I remember.. especially in singapore and malyasia, people instead have outside ponds keeping tropical fish! Lucky them!

·
Registered
743 Posts
welcome to BCA, I dream of the day when I am retired and can give full attention to my fish and tanks.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
great introduction. your definitely a true hobbyist. welcome to the forum. and welcome fellow discus keeper.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, April
Great to receive your welcome - we've spoken before, when you helped me get registered with bca through Shawn, & I appreciated what you both did for me. You'll see me in your store soon.
Paul

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welcome to the tank!!!

Take full advantage of the opportunity to teach us a thing or two and learn a few things yourself... the internet can be a wonderful thing lol!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts