British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone here at BcAquaria, Im a new member here.

I have been viewing these forums for advice, but never posted with my account, and eventually lost the password...
These forums have helped me alot, and I have decided to create another account and really get into the community and events hosted here.

Im currently located in West Vancouver, and I dont think Ill be moving anytime soon.

Im 14 years of age and tomorrow (August 18th), its acually my birthday!
I know its quite young for me to dive this far into the hobby, but I don't really think there's an age requirement for anyone to love it.

I kept a 10 gallon nano with a pair clowns and an anemone when I was 12, and the anemone died after 2 weeks because I did not have correct lighting :(

I kind of just kept the clowns alone in an empty tank for 6 more months..

After that, I got a 55g tank on my 13th birthday and installed a coralife fixture. I never kept any corals, but I had a lemon peel angel fish and a load of live rock. They did really well untill one day, I dropped a glass on the ground and it shattered, this really started my lemon peel anglefish and it darted in the tank as hard as he could. I thought he was fine but the next morning I found a huge scratch on his side from the rocks. He died a few days after.

After that, I think that I keep on killing things, so I sold everything on craigslist and spent it all on a bunch of junk thinking back.

A few months back, I did a load of research on marine/saltwater setups and saw all my mistakes. I did a water change once a month, never changed the filter media, never tested my water parameters and fed my fish freshwater flakes. ( im surprised the lemon peel angel acually ate that stuff ) :eek:

Anyways, Ive been saving for along time, and I managed to get 1000$ for a new setup.
I have been cataloging the past month or so and I have everything planned. I will go pick up everything from j&l aquatics sometime this month when I have EVERYTHING sorted out.

So heres what I planned so far:

- Biocube (14 or 29gallon) (Added LEDS) havent deciede yet, If you recommend any, please let me know in the comments below
- 10 Gallon frag tank, coralife t5 fixture 10,000k & actinic
- 3.8 gallon Pico 15,000K LED Fixture
- 5g Refugium for Pico

I have everything ready to purchase expect for my livestock. J&L aquatics sell bali liverock for 9$ a pound which honestly is way over my budget for live rock :mad:. I was hoping for something 3-6$ a lb. I also want to get a pair of black/orange ice/snowflake clownfish for my biocube. :D

If anyone is selling liverock near vancouver for a fair price, please let me know. Same with the clownfish.
I can pickup/meetup. Please text me : 778-968-7320 ( Text Only Please )

I am really glad to be apart of this community and will try to help others as well as receive help. Wish me luck on my new setups!
Thats all for now ~ Peter :cool:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Good luck Peter. So if you post an ad saying LF: live rock in the classifieds section of bcaquaria you will have a much higher chance of getting some replies :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone :) , and I have posted a "LF : Liverock" thread, but most of the responses are located in langly/surry which is a bit far for me. Looking for pickup near downtown/vancouver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happy Day After Your Birthday! Have fun with your new setup.
Get the biggest tank you can. More water means more buffering of changes, therefore safer for your critters and easier management for you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You are right, age doesn't matter, it's the passion that counts. I find it wonderful that you found this hobby at such a young age and that you are diving back into it.

Happy birthday and good luck with the new set up. Have fun with it :)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Welcome from North Van! The earlier you get started in this hobby the more tanks you can collect. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts