British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yess!!! I finally hand fed my Black Ghost Knife Fish 3 days in a row :)
Thought the first 2 times hand feeding them was a fluke? But now I am pretty sure they know how to eat frozen bloodworms from my fingers now. They usually just wait for the bloodworms to sink down in the bottom of the tank but now they don't :) It feels so cool haha.

Clint.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
yea it is a pretty cool feeling.

My German Blue Rams i used to hand feed as well, was a neat feeling

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Yup, i just started few days ago too, the crowd of fish is nipping mah hand! Feels kinda odd with my flagtails sucking on my finger though!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nicklfire: Yeah it really is a pretty cool feeling.

onefishtwofish: That's awesome. I haven't tried hand feeding my yellow labs and yellow tail Acie's yet. But when I open the lid they all come up to eat. So I don't think it will be hard for me to hand feed my cichlids also ^^

eternity302: Haha at first I was scared of them biting my fingers. But they didn't bite me :)

Now when I put my hand even without blood worms, they both come to my and let me pet them it seems like? haha. But I know i can't do it all them time so I don't remove their slime coat?

Clint.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Back in the 80s, I used to hold smelts and squids to handfeed to my 13" Volitan lionfish (very dangerous), Smooth horn shark, Snowflake moray eel, and other fish. It was very cool, but it also helped train my lionfish to swim towards my hand expecting food and that's how I got stung/poisoned. So, yeah, very cool experience, but watch out.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
When I worked out in Powell River on a fish farm, I would drop the corner of the net, grab two big handfuls of fish pellets and jump in with 40,000 young salmon smolts. I would release one handful, then the other and be surrounded by schools of thousands of hungry fish:eek:. Using my mask and snorkel, this was the most fun I ever had hand-feeding fish;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back in the 80s, I used to hold smelts and squids to handfeed to my 13" Volitan lionfish (very dangerous), Smooth horn shark, Snowflake moray eel, and other fish. It was very cool, but it also helped train my lionfish to swim towards my hand expecting food and that's how I got stung/poisoned. So, yeah, very cool experience, but watch out.
Uh oh. Well good thing your ok now :)
Yes it is really a cool experience and yep I will watch out ;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I worked out in Powell River on a fish farm, I would drop the corner of the net, grab two big handfuls of fish pellets and jump in with 40,000 young salmon smolts. I would release one handful, then the other and be surrounded by schools of thousands of hungry fish:eek:. Using my mask and snorkel, this was the most fun I ever had hand-feeding fish;)
Haha that sounds alot of fun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just started hand feeding my Florida Gar (~11.5") two weeks ago. It was strips of salmon that got his attention, although now he only gets strips of basa fillet.:D

He bit me the other week as well, not feeding though. I was using the net and he was by my thumb when I stuck it out at him; now I know that if I make my thumb look like food, he will think it is.... makes sense. But the hand feeding is awesome, now he feels like a real pet.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha. Congrats on your hand feeding. Haven't fed any big fish like yours. Wonder how it feels like :rolleyes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
hand feeding a giant snakehead gets you heart pumping :)
i like that feeling. hahahaha
he used to be able to just give me some small cuts or scrapes
now, i fear loosing a finger every time hahaha

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I hand feed my oscar shrimp daily... all that thing does is scare you when they rip it off your hand! bit me a few times.. only gives you a shock.. felt more like sandpaper =) big friendly giant!

btw.. i would not even try to feed a snakehead LOL! I fear them! rather get bit by a german shepherd in the arm than get my fingers torns off or a piece of flesh ripped off of my body by a snaked head o_O that's how much i fear those big snakeheads!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hand feeding a giant snakehead gets you heart pumping :)
i like that feeling. hahahaha
he used to be able to just give me some small cuts or scrapes
now, i fear loosing a finger every time hahaha
hahaha. Well at first my heart was pumping also when I was feeding my Ghost fish. But now I got used to it so no more heart pumping for me lol.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hand feed my oscar shrimp daily... all that thing does is scare you when they rip it off your hand! bit me a few times.. only gives you a shock.. felt more like sandpaper =) big friendly giant!

btw.. i would not even try to feed a snakehead LOL! I fear them! rather get bit by a german shepherd in the arm than get my fingers torns off or a piece of flesh ripped off of my body by a snaked head o_O that's how much i fear those big snakeheads!
Bahaha. Snakeheads fear me too lol. There just so creapy looking lol.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You can stick your hands in there, but everytime i look at this image.. nuh uh!!!
The Rainbow Snakeheads that Canadian Aquatics have right now... very very tempting... but NOPE

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can stick your hands in there, but everytime i look at this image.. nuh uh!!!
The Rainbow Snakeheads that Canadian Aquatics have right now... very very tempting... but NOPE
Hahaha. That looks scary. I don't think I'm gonna ever feed any monster fish :p.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts