British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just a thought, but did any of you guys take a minute to consider letting them live to reproduce?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats great..
The run is pretty good this year and the action was great down the line. Tight lines all around.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a thought, but did any of you guys take a minute to consider letting them live to reproduce?
Yes I did give it some thought.. my final thought on the topic is, "The DFO only allows a limmit of two per angler." Dont get me started.. This is the first opening in 4 years.. Though previous years showed good numbers of returning Sockeye the DFO still didnt have an opening. This is within the law and I am doing nothing wrong so please keep the green comments out of my thread.
Thank you for your concern.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont mean to seem harsh and I understand the enviroment needs taking care of. I am an avid angler and respect the laws that have been put in place. I do take some offence to comments regarding releasing fish when the opening is to harvest them for food and though some may dissagree with this, it is the law.
Thank you for the comment.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah, you guys are right, the Government knows best.
Vote Liberal whenever in doubt.
Yep

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well they say if they let to many get to the spawning grounds (this year there would be to many) the fry end up out competeing each other for food so you end up with less fish.

Also they say that they spawn over other fishes spawning beds and kill the eggs in the beds, therefore fishing the surplus is a good idea.

Just what I heard.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm curious gimlid Do you beef and pork or how about chicken??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice and CHROME!!!!! Where did you catch them? I hear they don't bite. You can only b. bounce for them?????
They were in great shape, and some were 8lbs plus.. We caught them close to hope. Bottom bouncing is the most effective way to fish for them in a river as large as the fraser.

Here is a quote from Steve Kaye Sportfishing website.
http://www.fishonbc.com/articles/sockeye-fishing/

"Do the Sockeye of the Fraser river actually bite?, or are all of them flossed or lined? Well, I believe the answer is yes and no. First, what is flossing or lining? This is the practic of swinging a long leader (6 to 10ft) along the bottom of the river with the intent of having that leader swing through the mouth of the fish swimming upstream. When the leader swings through the mouth of the fish, it is followed by the hook, which then gets pulled into the corner of the fishes jaw. First, is this legal or is this just snagging? Snagging, by the letter of the law, is described as the intent to hook a fish in a part of the body other than the mouth. Lining or flossing is designed to hook the fish in the mouth, so technically, this is legal. I personaly know several conservation officers who also avidly fish the Fraser in this manner, so from their standpoint, there is no legal problem. Any fish that is unintentionally snagged should be quickly and carfully released as keeping a fish that has been foul hooked is illegal and unethical. Second, will Sockeye bite a lure? The answer is yes, but when you consider the conditions in which we are fishing in the Fraser where the water visability is approximately 6 to 10inches and the water where the Sockeye are caught most often is fairly fast. Sockeye only get about a 1/2 second to see and react to a bait. So some sockeye do bite, but yes the majority are definately flossed or lined. Some people feel that this type of fishing is unethical, personaly because of the conditions in the fraser I think there is a place for this technique here, but in other clear water rivers where Salmon run and the conditions make it possible to fool a fish into biting your lure, I feel this would not be ethical. Basicly, this is a personal decision, but as I see it, most anglers have decided to accept this style of fishing and enjoy this tremendous fishery that the Fraser river has to offer."

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was scared to actually write down the term bottom bouncing. Didn't want to start a debate about the technique.;) Too bad there is no place here in lowermainland to fish for them that way. I guess I'll will wait for Pinks next year when they flood the river again. I had lots of fun last year catching them. But nice to hear they finally open them again this year. I just love CHROME Fish.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it has been 4 years... It is good news for those of us who want to obtain a few of one of the most sought after food fish we have here in BC. The opening should be untill the end of the month from what I've heard.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was scared to actually write down the term bottom bouncing. Didn't want to start a debate about the technique.;) Too bad there is no place here in lowermainland to fish for them that way. I guess I'll will wait for Pinks next year when they flood the river again. I had lots of fun last year catching them. But nice to hear they finally open them again this year. I just love CHROME Fish.
I totaly understand, it can be a sensitive topic no doubt. But we have the legal right to retain fish hooked in the mouth, foul hooked fish must be carefully released and I 100% agree with this. We do need to take care of our natural resources and make sure they are here untill the earths end. If that's possible, we humans are the most destructive animal on planet earth.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I totaly understand, it can be a sensitive topic no doubt. But we have the legal right to retain fish hooked in the mouth, foul hooked fish must be carefully released and I 100% agree with this. We do need to take care of our natural resources and make sure they are here untill the earths end. If that's possible, we humans are the most destructive animal on planet earth.
I couldn't agree with you more. Very well says....very well says.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts