British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
interested in the kinds of things people have gotten their fish to be able to do
jump out of water for food or whatever, fish world in langley told me they get their oscars to jump over 6 inches out of the water for food, i just went on youtube and tried to find something close as i was bored
YouTube - Parrot Fish Jump
parrot fish jumping for food

had a girl at petsmart say she taught her fish to fetch peas and then spit them out, maybe it just didnt like peas?

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I was a teen, I had an oscar that would jump and grab live grasshoppers out of my hand. I never risked an accident, hence it maybe only came an inch out of the water.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
my oscars right now let my wife pet them.
and they also come out of the water for food..lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't really believe it is "training" since the fish are just reacting to it's natural instincts. A betta I bought can jump like that on her first feeding. But to spit things out, now that's coolz :D

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
i always training my 14" clown knife to eat with shrimp ! i put the shrimp into the long Plastic fork to feed him, the fork is not sharp, so it wont hurt while he bit ! because i had arow , and fire eel , this guy (clown knife) dont have good eye, always behind them, so i need special feeding him! and my arow he like jump up the eat the shrimp too,:D
but i am not really like train them jump up to eat, because i worry one day they like jump up to the tank, and died!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My aro can get some good air. I got bit once (didn't hurt but scared the crap out of me) so I was like. Well I'll hold it further up so he can't grab me. Nope sucker almost jumped in my hand

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My aro can get some good air. I got bit once (didn't hurt but scared the crap out of me) so I was like. Well I'll hold it further up so he can't grab me. Nope sucker almost jumped in my hand
LOL

the jackie chan video was kinda cool, despite the fish environment getting it to roll over so u can stroke its belly is pretty crazy.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Does hand feeding count :rolleyes:. If so as you probably know, I hand feed my Black ghost knife fish and my malawi cichlids :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i would count that.... i have to work with my aro to jump hoops.. havent found a small enough hoola hoop yet tho ;)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
i would count that.... i have to work with my aro to jump hoops.. havent found a small enough hoola hoop yet tho ;)
hahaha i wanna see that :D. Maybe when he's trained to do it, you can video it for us :p

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Nothing special here , but i have picked the left side of my aquarium for dropping in food and my discus sit there half a day waiting to be feed.None of them give up any space as they 'jockey' for a spot.I do believe though that they get a sense for whos who and associate that with food.I find them to be more social with me , than any others in the household who visit their home.

·
Registered
141 Posts
hmm does pellet training a giant snakehead (micropeltes) count?
went from live feeders, to dropping live fish, then dead fish, then shrimp, then slices of fish, stuffed pelets inside the slices of fish, then pelets! woo!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts