British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was directed here by a former member, LordoftheFish, and I am hoping to learn a lot about my aquariums. I am a 30 year old woman from Chilliwack, BC, and I used to have tanks when I was young but really didn't understand anything about fish keeping at the time. I recently decided to pursue this again, after setting up an old 10 gallon tank that was laying around. It started to leak unfortunately, so I had to get a new one. I asked around on Facebook and a few of my friends offered some old ones they had hanging around. I put together two setups with all the things that were given to me. I have added more stuff as I have gone along, but they really are budget builds!

I have two setups, one is a 45 gallon long running 2 Tetra Power filters, one 30 and one 20, and two heaters. I have the National Geographic LED track light with light pods, I have two plant pods (red/blue), one HD pod (full spectrum), two lunar blue (moon lighting), and four white. I made a custom top with a fluorescent light cover, cut out to fit the filters, lights, heaters, and airlines. I am running one air pump with a small air stone currently, although I plan to add more in the future. I have one opaline gourami female, six glowlight tetras, three red zebra danios, one male swordtail, three julii corydoras, and two albino corydoras. I also have planted this tank with cabomba, grasses, and an amazon sword plant. I recently added a CO2 system with a canister that you fill with sugar, activator, and stabilizer and a bubble ladder, however I may switch this for a custom system as I realized after purchasing that I bought only a 15 gallon sized system. I don't think it's really doing anything in my tank. This tank is the one I really put most of my effort into, as it contains the plant system, and it's been quite a challenge to get everything going!

My second is a 20 gallon high, with no live plants, one powder blue dwarf gourami, one half moon betta, one male swordtail, and eight neon tetras. I am running an AquaClear 20 filter with a pair of 50w heaters in this one. This tank sits in my bedroom, and it is a pretty easy keeper.

I don't have any very good current photos, but I will try to find some and post them up ASAP.

Cheers!

Sarah

Reactions: Jousters

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
Welcome to BCA, supra97!

We are an amalgamation of many different hobbyists here. There are dwarf shrimp, planted tanks, cichlid, goldfish/koi, pleco, catfish, betta, oddball, community, marine (FOWLR), and reef enthusiasts to name a few.

Enjoy your time here :)!

Best Regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,351 Posts
Welcome fellow chilliwackian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all! I am hoping to get some help from a friend in the next week because I have this brown/black hair algae that's taken over my decorations. I hear it's not easy to deal with and I am quite upset about it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the hair algae that I have right now:
Water Plant Purple Underwater Aquatic plant

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These aren't the greatest (phone photos), but I can't find the good ones I have right now. But here are some of my fish:

Flower Plant Petal Botany Purple
Water Vertebrate Nature Botany Underwater
Flower Plant Vertebrate Pollinator Insect

Attachments

Reactions: Dou

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
It almost looks like overgrown Staghorn algae, IMHO.

Respectfully,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yup like Stuart suggests, it definitely looks like staghorn. Manual removal and/or hydrogen peroxide should do the trick. You could follow up with reducing light like Dou suggests to prevent it from coming back or getting worse.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all! I added some phosphorus filter pads to my filters, along with a bag of purigen, because my friend thought perhaps that was the problem. Thanks for helping me identify it! I took all my decorations out and scrubbed them clean, stirred up my substrate and vacuumed it and did a 50% water change. My nitrates were really high as well, 80ppm, and have been since it cycled. So hopefully this will take care of all that. Thank you so much for your input!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Let us know how well the phos pads work. I'ved been dealing with staghorn for months in all my tanks and it's a pain to get rid of. Maybe it's our water chemistry here in chilliwack? seems perfect for growing algae of all sorts. :rolleyes:

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,351 Posts
Phosphate down works. I use another product that a guy in Chilliwack developed and sells. Although he is moving soon

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Welcome to BCA :), I saw that you mentioned Purigen, I use it in all my tanks in place of charcoal it will help reduce nitrates,nitrites and ammonia, also a great water polisher that keeps your water looking crisp. Economical as well because it can be regenerated easily with bleach.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts