British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been interested in aquariums all my life, my family had some nice ones I helped out with but haven't been able to indulge since leaving home. Planning on getting my own set up soon once I have settled into my new place. Always looking for good advice from you all, having browsed threads to find out answers to questions before but never before signing up.

Can't wait to hear from you,

Rouge

·
Registered
900 Posts
Glad you signed up ... regarding getting back into the hobby ... it all depends where you want to take it? Do you have any thoughts about early directions?

If you post a few thoughts you will get a bunch of suggestions.

Reactions: CRS Fan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking to start a tank with a few freshwater fish but want to try live plants any suggestions on which ones can be grown/happy with regular lighting and no added c02?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just a F.Y.I.:

Are you living in an apartment/condo?

If you haven't already done so, check with the owners/building managers to see if you can have a tank. Some do not allow any aquariums. Others do, but restrict the size to a maximum of 20 gallons - due to weight and water damage potential. Others will refuse simply because they cannot be certain that an aquarium keeper is careful enough not to let foreign debris clog the plumbing (e.g. gravel, sand, plant pieces, etc).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They okayed me for up to 20 so that is the one I have purchased for now haha might ask my landlady if more could come after with proof I can responsibly take care of it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Super. Being in good standing with a landlord is always a good thing! (hehehe)

As far as the plants are concerned, most any of the standard ones commonly found at your LFS would be a safe place to start. Also, see if you can get any of these:

Jungle Val - Italian (thin) / Americana (thick)
Dwarf Lily
Bacopa
Amazon Sword
Ludwigia Repens

Personally, as pretty as it is, I would stay away from Hornwort . . . sheds like the dickens!

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Welcome to BCA, you will fine lots of help and friendly people here that are willing to share their knowledge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts