British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,430 Posts
Hi Atom,
I think that a betta can handle a water temperature swing that is from 81 to 85 degrees without any difficulty.

It sounds to me like your little guy has gone from mild fin rot to advanced, rapidly-spreading fin rot. I would treat this very seriously, even risk overmedicating rather than undermedicating.

I recommend putting him in a clean container like a glass jar or vase, something that you know the size of so that you can measure the dose. Five gallons is an easy size for dosing. If you can't change the container he is in, do a 100% water change.

Then, treat him with some heavy duty antibiotics like a combination of Tetracycline and Ampicillin. Treat him for two complete cycles of the medication or even longer. Change his water frequently and completely, and redose each time. (Follow the instructions on the box)

Good luck, Atom, this sounds very serious! If you don't have any medications, send me a PM as I might have something that you could try. I'd have to look through my fish drug store to see what might work. I don't have ampicillin or tetracycline, but might have alternatives. Good luck.

· Registered
2,430 Posts
Hi Atom,

I put Tetracycline into a tank with plants in it and the plants survived, but all my plants tend to be hardy types.

I have looked up a site for you about bettas and fin rot. Scroll down past the mild fin rot to the more serious one. http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

Luckily, the fin rot doesn't seem to have infected his torso yet, or at least I can't see that from the pic. Good luck!

· Registered
2,430 Posts
Good luck, Atom. I hope he pulls through. If he does, his fins will grow back I think.

I am pretty sure that the Java fern and anubias will be okay with the medication, but I have never had marimo balls.

Maybe somebody else here has a suggestion?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.