British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there - im a big Tanganyika fan out of Victoria, and am doing group order from reserve stock chiclids, but i have a problem - i have no idea what im dealing with at customs. it is a large order, about 4 boxes, coming in friday at 4:45, going to vancouver airport.

the internet has failed to give me the information im looking for.... so can you help me? is there anything i can tell my seller to do to make customs faster? should i be worried? is there anything i can do to make it go faster? im from victoria and need to make the 9:00 boat :eek:

should i even be worried?

all my orders i have done are out of canada, never the states.

please help me!

·
Registered
617 Posts
There shouldn't be any trouble importing tropical fish as long as there are no CITES listed ones.. Don't try to claim they are anything except what they are. Tropical fish are permitted to be imported ..Falsifying declarations can get you in a heap of trouble needlessly.
You may get dinged taxes on them , but there are no duties.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. all fish are captive bred and all tanganyikan - the cites website doesn't say anything about Tanganyikan chiclids... so when i declare them - do i declare everything single specie or just declare them all as "tropical ornamental fish" ?

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Make sure that the seller lists the Scientific Names of the fish. I believe that you'll have to go to a specific cargo warehouse near the airport to pick up the paperwork then go to the customs counter on the ground floor of the airport. You'll pay them, they'll stamp your paperwork, then you'll have to go back to the cargo place to pick up your fish. That was how it was done when I was part of a fish group order from New Jersey & when I had a puppy shipped up from Oregon (both were flown in on Continental Airline via Houston).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what paper work should i be picking up? all fish are listed in there scientific name, so no worries there

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
what paper work should i be picking up? all fish are listed in there scientific name, so no worries there
You'll need photo ID. The paperwork will have your name, sellers name/where they're from, details about the shipment (ie. list of fish being sent), etc. The seller may or may not put the value of the fish on the paperwork. When I picked up my puppy the seller didn't put how much she cost on the declaration, so customs had to take my word for how much she cost ;)

Forgot to mention that the cargo place charged a flat rate fee of $50 as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
C'mon and phone fisheries

hi there - im a big Tanganyika fan out of Victoria, and am doing group order from reserve stock chiclids, but i have a problem - i have no idea what im dealing with at customs. it is a large order, about 4 boxes, coming in friday at 4:45, going to vancouver airport.

the internet has failed to give me the information im looking for.... so can you help me? is there anything i can tell my seller to do to make customs faster? should i be worried? is there anything i can do to make it go faster? im from victoria and need to make the 9:00 boat :eek:

should i even be worried?

all my orders i have done are out of canada, never the states.

please help me!
Customs phones fisheries if they have a concern, fish they cannot identify, or think it may be on a restricted list. Fish from the states are not on their radar. Since they're local and at the airport phone them. They answered and were very clear.
Sanitary certificates? Phyto sanitary certificates are proof that the control area they came from is disease free, such as a greenhouse. I've never heard of them for fish, who largely come from the outside.
But they're always adding something. So call our overpaid govt. workers and get your monies worth!

·
Registered
614 Posts
We have fish, and shrimp shipped to Blaine. We declare them as "Ornamental Aquarium Fish" and never had a problem. The worst thing that has ever happened is that we had to go inside to pay taxes. Have the shipper declare them as such, and make sure that YOU have the scientific Names just in case. I have never asked for them.

Consider getting a mail box in Port Angeles and getting a ferry down there instead of having them shipped to Vancouver.

Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
4 boxes they may consider it commercial. you dont haev to go to the main terminal if during customs hours..theres a customs cargo office but only open till 4pm. its in the blue buildings on miller road. pay your gst ,pst, and make sure you save about 55 cash for the cargo company.
id be careful if i were you..new rules coming in beginning of next year. permits to be done ahead of time for some species.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You are allowed a maximum of 60 fish for personal. Anything more then that is considered commercial and opens up a whole new can of worms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have any questions regarding importing of fish, Contact Canada Fish and Wildlife as they are very helpful and can give you all the details on what you will need. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have any questions regarding importing of fish, Contact Canada Fish and Wildlife as they are very helpful and can give you all the details on what you will need. Good Luck!!
lol this thread is a couple weeks old, they came in on june 21st.

all made it in, customs guy was nice, and all i had to pay for was tax.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts