British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I got this beautiful split tail Betta the other day & he has been doin great in the 1 gallon bowl I had him in. I got a 2gal Eclipse tank the other day and got it set up and put him in it last night, he seemed fine till I went to bed & even seemed fine this morning. But when I got home from work he was upside down and appeared to be struggling to get right side up. All I could think to do was get him out of there. I put approx 2" of water in a bowl and got him in there. I dont know if he is able to breathe properly , he is mostly on his side then upside down he can't seem to get upright. I don't know what to do for this poor guy or what happened. I can't think there is enough current in that tank to cause any problems. Only thing I can think is when I went to put him in there last night he flipped out of my hand and fell on the floor, only a few feet and was on carpet. But like I said he seemed fine all the way til I went to work this morning. Any ideas or suggestions?? He is so awesome it breaks my heart to see him this way:( Thanks in advance for any help with this

·
Registered
549 Posts
Might be a swim bladder problem! If he seems fine but just can't right himself then it forsure is.... I hear this can really be a problem with double tails...

Don't feed him for a few days....

You most likely are overfeeding him....

They will eat and eat and eat....

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might be a swim bladder problem! If he seems fine but just can't right himself then it forsure is.... I hear this can really be a problem with double tails...

Don't feed him for a few days....

You most likely are overfeeding him....

They will eat and eat and eat....
He does seem fine other than he cant right himself, I will lay off the food , if he lives long enough & see what happens, My biggest concern is if he is able to breathe properly. he does get moving around and almost right side up to maybe get air, but it's just sad to see him like this and almost lifeless, hopefully you are right

Did you cycle your new tank? Or treat it with some brand of quick cycle? Do you have any plants in there for him? any snails for clean up?
When I got the new tank I filled it with close to boiling hot water and ran it for 24 hours to kind of clean it up. Emptied it and rinsed it thoroughly. I refilled it halfway with water from my 20 gallon as it is established and the water chemistry is pretty much the same(which is the same water his bowl got in it when I first got him and even use that water when I do water changes for his bowl 40% of that and 40% fresh water), then I took most of the water out of the bowl he is in to top it off and added maybe 1 liter of fresh water and ran it for about an hour before adding him in there. There is a small Java fern (which was in the bowl he was in) & no snails

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I had a German Blue Ram that recently had the same thing!

There's really no cure for it! I would stop the filters and just use an air stone, and hope he can recover from it! Just what I would do.. hope others can help you out!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sounds like swim bladder disorder.
If he's @ the top he should be able to gulp air.
-Don't feed as much for a few days.
-Make sure the water is clean & warm.
-Maybe add a little salt.

I've had this happen to a few of my bettas & they always pulled through.

With bettas I just aged the water since they usually don't required a lot of water.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone, I sure feel better knowing it may not be as bad as it appears. He's at the top, doesn't look like he has a choice. He's more on his side now than upside down like he was earlier & his color is fine. He looks dead when he's not moving,but, when he gets moving around he looks mad that he can't get up-rite poor fella, but atleast he's trying. Guess that's a positive sign

·
Registered
549 Posts
Don't feed him for up to 4 days.... He'll be allright... He'll make it. It might just be a bad case of constipation... Once his digestive track get good a cleaned out he'll be fine...

What do you feed him currently?

How much do you feed him of whatever that is?

He'll be fine don't stress.... I had an oranda that use to get swim bladder pretty bad and after a couple days of no food he was back to swiming around like nothing happened...

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I agree with the others... Don't run a filter. I don't think he even needs an aeration stone. And the water shouldn't be too deep, either, if he is resting or floating. It would be good if he had some leaves to rest on (plastic or real).

I hope that he recovers!

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He died within the last hour:( probably the stress caused by me freaking out when I got home and taking him out of the new tank and putting him in his old bowl with a few inches of water as a safe guard till I could figure out what to do. It was probably an overfeeding thing that started it, I fed twice a day, morning and evening roughly 6-8 Betta pellets and a pinch of freeze dried blood worms & he loved to eat . I may have dropped in too many pellets today as I was in a hurry for work. Anyway , thanks for the help & support everyone, I leaned a valuable lesson with him. Maybe I will find his twin one day , he was so beautiful and friendly & he was probably our favorite. I'll post a few more pics of him in the photo gallery of one of his happy days , here's one for now

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss Diztrbd1. You did what you knew and it was the best you could do. You was very beautiful. Again I am sorry to hear that you lost him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts