British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
Looks like a common mystery snail, they multiply like crazy and can infest your tank, either get rid of them as you find them or get yo yo or clown loaches they eat them.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It might be a bladder snail, family Physidae.
I have some that look similar. They don't eat my live plants and help to turn dead rotting leaves to poop. But they did infest my tank very fast...and their eggs are hard to detect in the plants when trying to get rid of them. Usually when you see one, more is coming.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
It appears to be a radix snail. They are often confused with Physa species. Both are often referred to "Pond or Bladder Snails". The antennae on Radix are pinnate where on Physa they are flattened laterally and conical.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently added some Odessa Barbs to a snail infested tank. They immediately devoured pretty much all the small snails, to my surprise over a few weeks they learned to eat all but the largest pond snails. I now have a tank with a bunch of pretty barbs, a substrate littered with snail shells, and a few snails hiding in the plants.

I'm generally happy to have snails in the tank, and I seem to have struck a lucky natural balance.

Anyway, my point was Odessa Barbs have been a surprisingly effective and attractive form of snail control.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.