British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i got theses cichlids in a trade for some plants i have for sale i was told there Electric yellow labs there are 4 & 2 eletric Blue labs can any one tell me if this is true one of the yellows does have black on it but the other 3 dont so im confuzed & i have no clue if it is true if the blue ones are Eletric blue labs so if you breed theses kind of fish or know please tell me there all about 1" to 2" long

here are a few pics there taken by my phone
the yellows
cichlids 002.jpg cichlids 004.jpg cichlids 005.jpg

& the blue
cichlids 003.jpg

thank you everyone for looking & helping me

also is a 55gal long good forthem or will they need a bigger tank ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The yellows are actually hybrids - yellow lab/red zebra crosses.

The blue is a cobalt zebra (Metriaclima callainos).

A 55gal will work, but two cobalts will be a problem as they mature, unless they both happen to be female.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It's possible the lab with the black isn't a hybrid, but the other ones certainly seem like zebra lab crosses.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Possible, but unlikely - given 3 out of 4 definitely are, they probably all came from the same source. Better to just assume that it is a hybrid as well.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The yellow lab with the Black in the fins is male. They don't look like hybrids to me :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
No, it's not. There is absolutely no way from that photo you can sex that lab. Absolutely impossible. Males and females look the same. And the labs without the black are very much hybrids.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Sinisterkisses. You called all these fish hybrids from the pictures yet you say I'm wrong on the male. They call me the African god for a reason lol. $50 says I'm right! Catch that fish and vent it. I guarantee its a male.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you can't tell those are hybrids from the photo, then you're no god I'm afraid. The fact that they have no black on their fins, makes them easily identifiable as hybrids from even a very quick glance at a photo. Any aspiring "African god" knows that.

You're welcome to think what you like. But you're wrong about the hybrids, and you're wrong about being able to sex a lab from a photo like the one provided. That simple.

·
Registered
78 Posts
...I'd suggest doing a bit of research online. Females generally always have black on their pelvic fins, to varying degress just like the males.

·
Registered
813 Posts
..... I'd suggest you slow your role a little and stop attacking people. I've done more research than you could possibly know and if you notice, I said that they don't typically show that much. Get your facts right before you jump down people's throat and do your own research.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lol you edited your post after I commented. It originally stated that females don't have black on their pectoral fins. Very different than what you're claiming now ;)

I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just trying to make sure the correct information is provided to the poster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All I can say, after the bickering of who's the bigger "african god", is don't sell any fry from any of them. If you don't know what they are, don't breed em. Enjoy them in your tank but don't distribute them.

As for who's the bigger "african god", who cares. They're fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts