British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow really?? it's strange because all my goldies are dying...and my pleco died too.. im still trying to figure out what i did wrong??currently my fish are sick..some type of disease due to stress or for whatever reason? some have red fins, some are scaless, some have growths growing on them im pretty sure its ick!!i just brought them home from island pets one week ago and there all dying..im really sad...i can't for the life of me figure out how they all got sick..and are now dying.... PLEASE HELP...:(

·
Registered
567 Posts
First do a quick water change about 50%.. if the fish have ich then you will see white specs all over the fish.. if that is the case you will want to add salt and raise the temperature to about 85ish, goldies can also handle some ich medicine, but if you don't have it on hand raising temp and salt will do. Scaless doesn't always matter.. scales grow back, could have gotten into a fight or something? As for red fins, are they clamped against the fishes body? Or does it look like they're rotting? You need to pick up a master API testing kit to be sure all your readings are correct... could be ammonia, or your tank isn't cycled properly.. goldies can also come with a lot of diseases, so it may just be the fishies.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my two fancy goldies both have clamped fins with growths white puffy looking growths...the others ones have growths and red spots on there fins and dorsal.. it is a brand new tank and filter...so it could be that my tank isnt cycled properly..i noticed they were sick and did a water change yesterday...i added salt when i first put them in the tank..then they started swiming sideways..so i did another water change to remove some of the salt..and i think i stressed them out way to much!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Make sure you use Aquarium salt, and not table salt.

How long has your tank been running and have you had any major events, like power went off for a few hours or introduced new fish.

Have you checked for Ammonia and Nitrites?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Most likely ammonia poisoning/new tank syndrome leading to a secondary infection, seeing that you've got plecos and goldfish in a new tank.
Aquarium FD - Ammonia Poisoning - Disease Identification, Diagnosis & Treatment

Check with a test kit; if it is ammonia, daily water changes and finding mature filter material either from an old tank or someone else would be the way to go. After you get that figured out, you can work on the secondary symptoms.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you don't have a test kit, rush a water sample to IPU. I'm going with Ammonia poisoning. Does anyone have any filter media to take over? I don't have transportation until 9pm tonight.

Steve

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sarah,

I think you added too many fish too quickly. Ammonia build up is the first step in the cycle, if someone can deliver some filter media, or set up an existing one in the tank for a while it will help cycle the tank faster. do a search for "aquarium nitrogen cycle". it will explain everything.

Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
agreed..new tank..new filter..did you tell the store you had a brand new tank and filter?
you need cycled filter media. hopefully someone can help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts