British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i did a water change and added prime as i always do.
noticed my ray had what looked to be peeling on the disk by the tail just a little.
i thought not much of it.
went about my afternoon and got ssome food and when i got home my ray was on his back.
flipped him over and found him on his back a few more times through the day and i keep flipping him back over.

his disk does not look to be curling he is not eating his tail is standing in the air and not resting on the sand.

i changed another 50% of his water.

he is still alive at this point does any one have any ideas on what i can do to help my Ray?

·
Registered
117 Posts
its usually chemical or nitrate burn.... its probably done, sorry to say. If anything I would say stop fussing with the water parameters as that is probably stressing it out more. Add some salt and pray... I'm sorry dont know the dosage though. I use a cup of salt when I do water change for my 180. Then only replace what I remove after.

Good luck

·
Registered
773 Posts
Maybe try to pm Charles and see if he can help you. Sorry I am unsure of what to do.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
dont change water too much! keep it until 1 day, he should be fine! ray is very allergy for new water! but heard u said ur ray,,,,,,may!! sorry!!
hope ur ray okie!!good luck!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Don't use prime when doing water changes with stingrays. There is a chemical in there that is hard on the ray. Use something like aqua plus.
I been using prime for 2 years with my rays now. Adrian sometime there is a sudden death that we can't explain. Big water change do get your ray shock so I hope your ray can pull through. btw I always over dose prime.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks every one.
dosn't look good this afternoon the ray is showing signs of disk curl.
has stayed upright so far today though .
looks also like the ray is looseing its slime coat.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as of 8:30pm the ray has passed away.
thanks everyone for the kind words and support.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh that is horrible, I'm sorry to hear that, you did what you thought to.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your loss Adrian.

I saw your post earlier, but I couldn't help you in any way. I wish I had some sort of background on rays...then maybe I could have helped you out a little. I really feel useless in situations like these...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Take it as an experience Adrian. Ray are pretty hard to cure once it is sick and I do lost my motoro when I first into ray as well. If you do ever want to keep ray again, please double dose on prime so you don't see that slime coat on ray again.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sorry for your loss, it sounds like there was an internal problem; which stressed it out to the point where the slime coat began to peel. In that particular situation I always add 1lb of dissolved salt per 100 gallons of water. This has worked for me several times in the past.

Good luck with your next ray!

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
OMG :eek: I am sorry to hear that your ray passed, Adrian. Unfortunately I don't have tankspace for a ray (maybe 1 day). My largest tank is currently a 29 gallon.

My condolences,

Stuart

1 - 20 of 29 Posts