British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i bought some pool filter sand and trying to clean it whats the best way?

every time i run water threw it still turns the bucket water brownish

i dont want my tank to turn like that lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP PLEASE i need to do this i been washing it with clean water but the water still dirty brown

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
When I did my 3M sand, it took a few rinses. I put some in a bucket, ran water into it while I stirred it with my hand. Then i tipped the water out, and repeated 3-4 times. When added to the tank I did get some cloudiness, but that went away after a couple of WC's. If you are worried about it clouding the tank just keep rinsing it. I don't know of any other way other than to keep rinsing it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Kind of a nice day outside. A couple pounds at a time in a bucket, use the garden hose and rinse away. Too much sand in a bucket seems like it takes forever to rinse clear.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've never experienced that with pool filter sand. Typically just a slight milky/cloudiness. Will be a bit cloudy for a few days until it settles out in the tank. As others have said, rinse in smaller batches with a running hose seems to go quicker.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/4 full fill with sand fill to top with water stir with hand ,then pour off water ...repeat several times . No short cuts in cleaning poolsand ...I know I diid 3 bags of it and it is a bit of a pita :)
bill

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
water as hot as you can stand will bring clean time down a bit.
but a whole bag can take several hours of constant rinsing..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all your help im done took for ever

will post pics once i put plants in. and the water is clear..

·
Registered
743 Posts
Thanks to all your help im done took for ever

will post pics once i put plants in. and the water is clear..
thanks for the heads up on the cleaning time.
where did you purchase yours? I am gonna need a few hundred pounds when I finally get around to setting up my tank
I had a member drop me a link but seem to have misplaced it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts