British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to stock a 50gl fresh water tank for my mom she would like an assortment of colors,I was thinking cichlids there seems to be a good selection.

Have you any sugestions on what I should stock that will not out grow her tank and mix well together.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maybe, a couple Yellow Lab Cichlids and maybe a frontosa :S I don't know, Much about cichlids ahha, The discus sounds good also, you can put 1 per 10 gallons (I've heard) Good Luck

·
Registered
925 Posts
Fronts are not a good idea
They need at least a 6ft tank & do better in groups.
A few Mbunas with some nice rock work
or a few Male only Peacocks, some real nice colors as well.
Or you could do Kribs & Rams & stay with mini cichlids.
Lots of choices available.
Cheers!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
They require additional conditioning of the water from what I know, as in more than just a water change with dechlorinater. If its just a colourful tank that a non fishy person is going to look after maybe go with angels and sword tails, both can be very hardy and lots of color. Let us know what the ability is of your mom or what your time do look after them would be..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stocking 50gl

I have a 65gl community as well as a 70gl brackish at my house.

My mom has wanted a bigger tank for some time now I purchased one off of Peter for her, I live 15 min from my Moms place and would be do a 1 x week water change with her since we vist regularly :)

I thought of Discus but I think high maintence and she likes gravel bottom plants and wood.

Tank has been running for a week now with a Fluval 305 filter system just
waitng for the fishy's:)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Crazy72 has a nice male krib available. If you can find a female and end up with a happy couple, then your mom can breed kribs. Krib families are lots of fun and they are a pretty fish. Add a few happy-go-lucky panda cories and maybe some espei rasboras that like to swim back and forth all the time in the upper water, and it will be a colourful tank. The kribs alone would be worthwhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts